Random system lockups

I’m experiencing random system lockups and I can’t make heads or tails from the logs. Here is a link to the logs compiled by the EndeavourOS log tool, http://ix.io/2W9F. I compiled the logs shortly after the latest lockup, though I can’t say the exact time it occurred since I wasn’t at my PC when it happened. Any help, whatsoever, would be much appreciated.

Description of The Problem

I experience lockups where: (1) the entire desktop freezes but I can move my mouse cursor; (2) the entire desktop freezes and I can’t move my mouse cursor; and (3) the screen goes blank and it doesn’t respond to anything. Sometimes REISUB works to restart the system in case (1). I experienced similar lockups before I switched from Ubuntu Linux to EndeavourOS. However, the lockups are more frequent now.

Note that I dual-boot with Windows 10. I do not experience these issues with Windows, but I don’t use Windows 10 as much as I use Linux.

Log Files

The only thing that jumps out at me in the logs is that /var/log/Xorg.0.log reports numerous errors similar to this:

[     8.667] (EE) libinput: HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3: Failed to create a device for /dev/input/event3
[     8.667] (EE) PreInit returned 2 for "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3"

I get these type of messages for other devices too, including my Razer mouse and keyboard.

Linux System Info

I recently updated the system, though these lockups predate the update. The command uname -a gives:

Linux lsd 5.11.13-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat, 10 Apr 2021 20:47:14 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am using Nvidia’s drivers, nvidia-smi states that I am using driver version 460.67. I installed the drivers via the command sudo pacman -S nvidia-installer-dkms, as per the wiki. I have uploaded the content of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf to https://pastebin.com/Rqg6KnS8. You will notice that I made some tweaks to prevent screen tearing. My display manager and desktop environment are SSDM and LXQt, respectively. Again, these tweaks predate the occurrence of lockups.

Things I’ve tried to fix the issue

Hardware

A high-level description of my hardware:

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700X CPU,
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card,
  • Samsung NVMe SSD,
  • Western Digital HDD and
  • 32 Gigs RAM.

More info in the logs.

Probably hardware. Check component and cable seating, temperatures, etc. Test your RAM and disk. Check your PSU is providing enough power, check your electricity supply is consistent/reliable (e.g. not brown-out, spiking, noisy, etc.).

1 Like

Thanks, @jonathon, though that’s really not what I wanted to hear :cry: I am terrible with hardware. If I open my PC’s case then it’s bound to explode :crazy_face: I’m just that type of person! But I’ll see what I can do.

2 Likes

Oh, in which case, open the GUI application called “Fix my issue” and click on the “Random freeze” button. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes