Random freezes and crashes on KDE

Hello, before anything I would like to say that I am new to EndeavourOS and am mostly loving it. This is why I am writing this post instead of distro hopping because I really want to fully love it and stay here.

History
I finally found the time to go for EndeavourOS about a week ago after my latest Manjaro Gnome setup got broken by an update.
Now I have to say that I have been using Manjaro for around 3-4 years now, mostly on KDE but maybe about 1 year ago switched to Gnome (for some reason).
I also used to dual boot with Windows 10 for gaming, and never had any hardware issues and I will say I still don’t have any hardware issues. I did use Manjaro KDE again for a few days before installing EndeavourOS and dropping the dual boot completely and it ran without any issues described here.
Now my setup on EndeavourOS with KDE is mostly focused on giving me my terminal, my browser and a few handy apps for the usual things one does, media playing, light coding and so on.
The main reason that pushed me to EndeavourOS was because I wanted to get rid of the dual boot and set KVM and QEMU with GPU passthrough to a WIndows VM, and that worked out and works great even with my two monitor setup.

Issue
I have started noticing the longer I used the device, during for example YouTube videos in my browser on Linux and even during gaming in the VM, that I would experience randomly very short freezes, which, have become more and more annoying. Then I also noticed at times a situation when the computer would just slowly stop responding and the mouse cursor moves slower and slower and after a few seconds the system reboots (very similar to this post).
I have checked everything I have read in other posts, I am running on the LTS kernel, checked that the video card is using the right driver, that the settings are set for screen tearing even, and I am running out of ideas.
Hope you can give me some insights on how I could fix this.

Info - Logs
To summarize it a bit also here, the computer that is running this is a custom gaming rig with an AMD Ryzen 7 CPU, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3070 GPU and 512 GB NVMe drive and two external monitors connected via HDMI.
The full logs are here.
Please let me know if there is anything else that would help in troubleshooting this.

What version of the Nvidia driver are using?

Hi, just running nvidia-driver-supported-branches I got this output:

NVIDIA card id: 2484
Fetching driver data from nvidia.com ...

Series 525: supported (nvidia.com: 525.60.11)

I installed it following the guide by running nvidia-inst

That is the version available. Is that what is installed?

pacman -Q | grep nvidia

Yep, same version number.

nvidia-dkms 525.60.11-1
nvidia-hook 1.0-1
nvidia-inst 1.7-2
nvidia-installer-common 1.7-2
nvidia-settings 525.60.11-2
nvidia-utils 525.60.11-1

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

Can you show the output of command

nvidia-inst -t

Hi, thank you!
Here it is:

2022-12-17 16:28:24: Info: Running: nvidia-inst v1.7-2
2022-12-17 16:28:24: Info: Command line: nvidia-inst -t
2022-12-17 16:28:24: Info: Selected mode: nvidia
2022-12-17 16:28:24: Note: Kernel parameter 'ibt=off' may be required, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA#Installation
NVIDIA card id: 2484
Fetching driver data from nvidia.com ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
COMMANDS TO RUN:
    ==> Looks like all requested packages and settings are already OK!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you have the kernel parameter ibt=off ?

Nope, added it now.

kernel: Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-linux-lts root=UUID=806ce824-dd96-45f2-a6ca-36c1a8ca0ff1 rw loglevel=3 nowatchdog nvme_load=YES ibt=off nvidia-drm.modeset=1 amd_iommu=on iommu=pt

You don’t need that. You have an AMD CPU.

Have you rebooted since you updated the drivers to 5.25? There was a bug in 5.20 that caused performance issues with 3000 series card?

To me it looks like Nvidia GPU. :wink:

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GA104 [GeForce RTX 3070] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia v: 525.60.11
    arch: Ampere pcie: speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 8 ports: active: none off: HDMI-A-1,HDMI-A-2
    empty: DP-1,DP-2,DP-3 bus-ID: 08:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:2484
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.5 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: X: loaded: nvidia
    gpu: nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 4480x1440 s-dpi: 92
  Monitor-1: HDMI-A-1 mapped: HDMI-0 note: disabled pos: right model: Acer CB242Y res: 1920x1080
    dpi: 93 diag: 604mm (23.8")
  Monitor-2: HDMI-A-2 mapped: HDMI-1 note: disabled pos: primary,left model: Gigabyte G27QC A
    res: 2560x1440 dpi: 109 diag: 685mm (27")
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 525.60.11 renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070/PCIe/SSE2
    direct render: Yes

That was a typo. I meant AMD CPU.

1 Like

I did have several power cycles since then, especially now while troubleshooting.

The issue is still there, so it did not help. I did not put it before as I understood that it might help in case it does not boot at all with the drivers. I will remove it again for the security reasons listed in the arch wiki article.

1 Like

Yeah, as @dalto said, it is for Intel CPUs. Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

is there something in journalctl ?

Nothing that pops up.
Actually mostly lines like this:

plasmashell[2491]: [2525:2525:1217/180206.991665:ERROR:shared_image_factory.cc(575)] Could not find SharedImageBackingFactory with params: usage: Gles2|Raster|DisplayRead|Scanout, format: RG_88, share_between_threads: 0, gmb_type: shared_memory

And I don’t think this has anything to do with that.

issue are coming with any app ?
may be recheck memory

The short freezes happen during video playing or during gaming. The complete crashes happened randomly while having the browser open or while being in the Windows VM. The memory is fine, as I said, in Manjaro KDE I had no such issues, so it must be something about the video driver. I have had issues like this when trying certain newer kernels that were installing newer versions of the Nvidia drivers on Manjaro in the past. But nothing recently. Maybe I need to downgrade my video card driver.

Ok, I might be on to something, I believe the issue is gone, at least the short freezes during video/audio playback are not there anymore. The random crash we will see, but I will assume it is also gone until proven wrong.

The fix was installing the zen kernel.