Radeon RX5700 Greenscreening

You only need 2 to provide additional power when pushing CPUs. I’m pretty sure none of the available Ryzen CPUs can dream of actually needing 2 8pins in any situation outside Ln2 as they simply can’t pull that much power.

It won’t hurt to use both, but it isn’t necessary. A single 8pin CPU plug can push out around 380w by itself.

3 Likes

i am trying around with coreCtrl at the moment.

You mean the psu right? the Psu has only one cable for 2 8 pins. the rest is for other stuff.

the Bios is up to date. I checked yesterday.

sadly does not work with the PSU

And another thing: what about the cpu? I have not had any cpu trouble yet. I might not have understood what you refer to.

You can get an additional power plug to have separate power cords going to the 5700 XT.

Not sure what motherboard you have but check the fan curves if running on auto or manual settings and make sure your gpu fans are cooling speeding up and or running at the right rpm.

1 Like

The fan speed is up to a minimum of 50% in casual mode. Corectrl makes sure of it. it is a little loud but that’s okay to have the gpu on 35 c for no real trouble :slight_smile:
I have a picture added to let you examine yourself what I mean with one cable (ignore the dust and too small fan lol) DSC04776 The red plug is the only one with those pins shipped. Hope i did not get the stuff wrong again.

Your 12v rail is only rated for 50 amps. I wish I had better news. The most important part of a higher end build like yours is the psu. It’s also 50 amps for the entire system. Not sure what else you have hardware wise. It might be 60 hard to tell from the pic. Still that’s probably too low. Lastly don’t just check temps on the gpu core. Look up what the hotspot is on amd gpus.

@Tads
That power supply does have 4 molex power plugs so you could separate video card plugs and add a new 6 pin pci-e power plug.

Example

AM2VD2005302W0VN

Edit: What motherboard do you have and cpu and memory?

Nothing wrong with 50amps, many single 12v rail PSU are rated in the 50-70a range. Its kinda low for a 750w PSU though, my PSU is rated at 70A output.

System Information
Operating System EndeavourOS Linux 5.6.15-arch1-1 x86_64
Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170 PRO GAMING
BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 3805

Processor Information
Name Intel Core i7-6700K
Topology 1 Processor, 4 Cores, 8 Threads
Identifier GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
Base Frequency 4.00 GHz
Memory Information
Size 15.6 GB
I do have one more slot for a cable like shown above indeed. 6 pins our from the psu there is one of the sata. and two female plugs to the one you showed.(also a smaller 4 pin thing) So i could use the workaround with those plugs for the 6 pin gpu slot of the gpu right?

Yeah i knew what you meant by one cable, the manufacturer daisy chained a second 8pin off the first. This can result in power drop across the cable which may result in instability.

yeah if you have spare sata/molex you could use an adapter to make 2 of them into a 6pin connector and see if that helps

I need to make sure it is known

DO NOT use a single molex fto 6pin connector, molex is not able to deliver the full 6pin power over a single connector as its only designed for 54w you need to use 2x molex to 6pin like this

right now I don’t. I would have to get one next week.
The stuff about the psu made me worry. What is wrong with it?

nothing seems to be wrong, just the manufacturer took the cheap route of giving you a daisy chain PCIE cable instead of 2 individual cables. The amperage and such on your PSU seems fine if a bit low for a 750w (theyre usually around 70amps).

Likely what is happening is voltage/current is instable across the daisy chain psu connection causing your to have green screens and such. Thats my guess anyway.

1 Like

@Echoa say’s better to get the dual molex plug to pci-e 6 pin as it provides more power by plugging it into 2 molex power plugs. Supposedly your power supply has 4 but you better check first.

@Echoa
This is what i read but correct me if i’m wrong?

molex connector = 36 watts (12v)
6 pin pci-e = 75 watts
8 pin pci-e = 150 watts

Thats the rated output according to the standard but the actual max design output is

molex 54w
6pin ~150-180w
8pin ~250-300w

The range on exact max for a given PSU varies depending on the PSU, cable gauge/temperature rating, etc.

i can at least get 2 molex females on the psu ready. I can get an adapter for 2 male molex cables to one 6 pin gpu entrance ? that’s a possible solution?

Yes I agree that there is theoretical and actual and it depends on variables such as the quality of the materials, gauge and temperature like you say. The 5700 XT is supposed to be around 225 watts.

You can use it to see if it solves your issue yeah, if it does it was the daisy chain connector and youre good to go. If not you may have a faulty card.

The molex adapter should be cheap and I generally avoid RMA on essential components till ive exhausted other options

it is 5700 not XT. the package of the gpu says minimum 160w and the psu says 200w for the gpu. (might be mistaken)