Radeon RX5700 Greenscreening

Good day dear EOS Community.
This is my first Post in these forums so I expect to have forgotten to put info up here.
As the Headline states I have experienced greenscreens for about 3 months with the said GPU. It happens in certain games (Verdun, Tannenberg, Tomb raider 2013, Shadow of the TR and Vengance)
I still search for a workaround or a final solution with no luck yet.
I have tried to update Mesa, run with linux-zen, OS hopping to see if it happens there as well-it does-. The last attempt was a complete downgrade to 05.01.2020 five months back… None of the games threw a greenscreen on my face. That was the first time in months running a game without much trouble…
Now one idea is the downgrade of the gpu related software and try it again -made the machine nonbootable once- The other Idea is to wait for newer software to get it fixed…

uname -a
Linux MYPCNAMEpc 5.6.15-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 27 May 2020 23:42:26 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
lspci | grep VGA
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] (rev c4)

Another Info about the Greenscreens is it freezes the machine and I have no real way to trigger them besides starting verdun and waiting for a minute.

Hello @Tads
What do you have installed? Vulkan and the lib files installed? You should already have mesa installed but here is what should be installed.

sudo pacman -S mesa lib32-mesa vulkan-radeon lib32-vulkan-radeon libva-mesa-driver lib32-libva-mesa-driver mesa-vdpau lib32-mesa-vdpau

The other fellow was getting jagged Fonts with some tinting. Not sure about green screening? He used an edid hack to correct that in case you didn’t read the posts. It’s fixed now.

I had all those installed. Just did a run with the command and it said reinstalling. Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Okay… what are you running it on for refresh rate and resolution? Also are you sure you have all of them installed because it will be saying reinstalling even if it’s one of them?

Are you playing games on Proton? (Steam)

Edit: I think there are issues with Freesync on these platforms.

another thing to consider

What wattage, efficiency rating, and how old is your PSU? It is possibly an issue thats PSU related.

Did you have any issue with Green Screening?

i havent so far no, ive overclocked/undervolted with now issues minus the hdmi selecting the wrong pixel format

What power supply wattage do you have?

mines a 650w Gold rated Corsair PSU i got about 1-5yrs ago. If his PSU older it could be losing some of its output and if its not high enough/efficient enough may be seeing voltage dips or weird transient response depending on the PSU/PSU quality

Yes, anything is possible. I don’t really know what the hardware is but i always go about 150 watts above the minimum requirements. There are issues on some of the gaming platforms as they have some of their own software technologies also such as fsync instead of AMD’s freesync etc. and also certain games have their own issues. :man_shrugging: I am not a gamer also. The kernel drivers fro AMD are getting better and the 5700 XT is a pretty new high end card. The 5.7 kernel is around the corner.

Until we get more information…

OP are you using a splitter for the 2 8 pin power connectors on the card? If so switch to two SEPARATE 8 pin power supply feeds and report back.

i am not using proton from steam.

The power supply unit was bought after the gpu was built in. First i had a 550w psu then one day the greenscreens started. That made me get a 750w psu.

You talk about the cables from the psu towards the gpu right? the psu only has one slot for a gpu. the slot would support 2x8 pin cables but the gpu needs only 1x8 and 1x6.

If that’s the case then just make sure each plug on the card has it’s own dedicated cable from the psu. What’s the make and model number?

the make ? The psu is a Mars Gaming 85+ Bronze. (MPII750) [SNNM275AEC1940514]
The cable is the only one i have for this psu. I tried plugging the 8 pin and 6 pin by a separated slot each(meaning 2 cables go out of the psu) but there is no other cable shipped with it.

Your PSU it seems has a Daisy chain PCIE cable, depending on the PSU and how shady it is that cable may not be rated high enough for your GPU. Many GPU dont like when you run Daisy chain PSU plugs, especially when they draw more power like a 5700. Ideally you would have 2 seperate cables for each 6 or 8pin connector.

Now what gauge is the wire on your single PCIE cable? should be on the wire as (some #)AWG.

Edit: just to mention, Seasonic which makes some of the best PSUs money can by has explicitly stated not to use Daisy Chain with GPUs over 180-200w peak which the 5700 definitely goes over

@Tads one thought, try installing CoreCtrl and lowering your power target to see if it still happens

@Tads does your motherboard have two 8 pin power plugs going to the motherboard? I think this is one of the issues with green screening. My board has two but my power supply only has one 8 pin plug for that. I would have to buy another adapter plug as it is not a modular pwr supply. It does have the two plugs for the video card itself. So the 5700XT i think you need to have powered properly or your going to have issues. That could be part of it. I myself am only using one 8 pin currently with a RX590 but if i had the 5700 XT i would be adding another pwr cord for sure. Make sure you have the latest Uefi\Bios.

Edit: Also as @Echoa says using two PCI-e power cables instead of one with a splitter.

You don’t technically need both 8pin CPU connectors, that’s an overclocking feature on most boards unless you’re running very high core count CPU. Most consumer CPUs couldn’t hope to saturate a single 8pin connection under normal conditions. The system would not likely allow booting if the CPU installed needed both.

Though I think you might be referring to the GPU not motherboard?

1 Like

Well I’m only mentioning things because i have no idea what is being done. Yes definitely should have separate power cords for the card. I came to the same conclusion on my X570 board when i found it have two 8 pin cpu power cords that i didn’t need both but…if i had bought a power supply that had the plugs then i would plug them in irregardless. It is possible needing it maybe? But i’m not an overclocker even though i tend to buy unlocked processors and I’m not a gamer.