Query in regards to Splash Screen

Hello All, I have recently installed Edeavour OS with Cinnamon desktop and trying to enable splash screen. I have tried finding the ‘GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=’, as per one of the forum posts in grub.cfg file, however, not able to find this parameter. Please guide how I can enable it.Thanks

Are you looking in the correct grub config file?

It should be near the top of /etc/default/grub

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I am looking at same path and using text editor to edit the file. Can I add this parameter in the file ‘GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=’. If yes, then please guide me where I can add this to enable splash screen?

Err…hmm.

Can we see the output of the command:

head /etc/default/grub

I tried editing editing grub this time it worked, and removed ‘quiet’ parameter from ‘GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=’, and built the grub. Now it shows whole process of system starting up. I was doing something wrong.

Here is the output of the above command:

head /etc/default/grub

GRUB boot loader configuration

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=“EndeavourOS”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“loglevel=3 nowatchdog”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Preload both GPT and MBR modules so that they are not missed

GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES=“part_gpt part_msdos”

Is there any way to enable graphical splash screen which I am trying from my end? Thanks

Well…if you remove quiet, that is what is supposed to happen.

Are you trying to follow a tutorial or something from somewhere?

Not yet. I was following one of the posts from forum itself though it was related to KDE plasma, however, it showed how to edit grub. :slight_smile:

That splash screen is the plasma splash screen that comes up after you login. The instructions for editing grub on that page were in response to the user requesting to stop hiding the output during boot.

It sounds like you are wanting the opposite of that. You want something like plymouth to come up and provide a pretty splash while the machine is booting.

Take a look at this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Plymouth

Yes, that is right. Let me check the given link. Thanks for the help!

1 Like