Qemu >> qemu-desktop: looks like quite a big change

I just had a look at upgrading gnome-boxes to the latest version currently in Testing.

It wanted to remove qemu and replace it with qemu-desktop with a whole new set of dependencies to be installed and a net upgrade size of 33.73 MiB.

sudo pacman -Syy gnome-boxes
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 testing                                                                                            50.8 KiB   113 KiB/s 00:00 [-----------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 community-testing                                                                                  32.8 KiB   575 KiB/s 00:00 [-----------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: qemu-desktop and qemu are in conflict. Remove qemu? [y/N] y

Packages (41) qemu-6.2.0-4 [removal]  qemu-audio-alsa-7.0.0-9  qemu-audio-dbus-7.0.0-9  qemu-audio-jack-7.0.0-9  qemu-audio-oss-7.0.0-9  qemu-audio-pa-7.0.0-9  qemu-audio-sdl-7.0.0-9  qemu-audio-spice-7.0.0-9
              qemu-block-curl-7.0.0-9  qemu-block-dmg-7.0.0-9  qemu-block-nfs-7.0.0-9  qemu-block-ssh-7.0.0-9  qemu-chardev-spice-7.0.0-9  qemu-common-7.0.0-9  qemu-desktop-7.0.0-9  qemu-hw-display-qxl-7.0.0-9
              qemu-hw-display-virtio-gpu-7.0.0-9  qemu-hw-display-virtio-gpu-gl-7.0.0-9  qemu-hw-display-virtio-gpu-pci-7.0.0-9  qemu-hw-display-virtio-gpu-pci-gl-7.0.0-9  qemu-hw-display-virtio-vga-7.0.0-9
              qemu-hw-display-virtio-vga-gl-7.0.0-9  qemu-hw-s390x-virtio-gpu-ccw-7.0.0-9  qemu-hw-usb-host-7.0.0-9  qemu-hw-usb-redirect-7.0.0-9  qemu-hw-usb-smartcard-7.0.0-9  qemu-img-7.0.0-9
              qemu-pr-helper-7.0.0-9  qemu-system-x86-7.0.0-9  qemu-tools-7.0.0-9  qemu-ui-curses-7.0.0-9  qemu-ui-dbus-7.0.0-9  qemu-ui-egl-headless-7.0.0-9  qemu-ui-gtk-7.0.0-9  qemu-ui-opengl-7.0.0-9
              qemu-ui-sdl-7.0.0-9  qemu-ui-spice-app-7.0.0-9  qemu-ui-spice-core-7.0.0-9  qemu-vhost-user-gpu-7.0.0-9  qemu-virtiofsd-7.0.0-9  gnome-boxes-42.0.1-2

Total Download Size:   23.52 MiB
Total Installed Size:  90.18 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      33.73 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n

I thought first that this is one of those occasions of splitting packages that we saw some time ago in linux-firmware but then the size of the Net Upgrade made me wonder.

I haven’t looked at those packages individually, neither my current tech-savviness would provide me with the means to do so. I just wanted to put it here up for discussion and comments.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

https://archlinux.org/packages/testing/x86_64/qemu-desktop/ the link has “testing” in it? Why is that?

The package is still in the Testing repository. It will eventually hit the stable repos after some testing by users giving feedback, reporting possible bugs etc.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Testing#Testing_repositories

1 Like

I suspect you are seeing both happening here … a change to split into individual packages as well as some change in the net space requirement … probably partially due to splitting packages and partially due to change with v7.0.0-9 ?

I use the testing repositories and didn’t really even pay attention, but can confirm that I have v-7.0.0-9 installed and see no differences running my VMs with virt-manager/libvirt/qemu across assorted linux and windows guest OSs.

2 Likes

Reading through this thread might help answer some questions as to the “why”

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2022-April/030782.html

3 Likes

Thanks @MrToddarama for your reply and the explanation!

I went ahead and upgraded gnome-boxes. The few VMs that I have, seems to be working well after the upgrade.

Thanks @dalto for the link!
I’ll have a look.

1 Like

That was it! Thanks!

1 Like

Recently on ArchNews

https://archlinux.org/news/qemu-700-changes-split-package-setup/

1 Like

I am so glad I have seen this before asking this very question. I had just went to update my system, and it was saying that qemu was missing from the AUR. (I use virtmanager instead of boxes, but still.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.