Proton Games Won't Load

Yep, @shockwave please check to see your vulkan Proton Games Won't Load - #7 by keybreak

That’s beauty of optimus for you :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It looks like the issue may have been that I was not on the nvidia driver. I had switched to it after installing optimus-manager, so I am not sure why it switched back. Since switching back to nvidia at least two of the games have launched so far witcher 3 and Dark Souls 3. I may need to do some fie tuning, but overall it seems to be working.

3 Likes

That’s great to hear! Enjoy your games.

1 Like

Thank you. The computer itself seems to go really slow when a game is running, which it didn’t before but at least it is working. May just need some fine tuning.

1 Like

Make sure vulkan & DXVK are working properly, that should be good start… :wink:
To me games behave here exactly like on Manjaro

2 Likes

Nah, it was already mounted and being used for files in Linux ok, but when trying to run Proton games they’d try to load, but then just quit.

All sorted long ago by converting the drive to ext4 and they work perfectly fine now! :slight_smile:

It should be ok then, my problem was that I had no proton files in my new /home and Steam wasn’t aware of this. So the games failed to start until I changed the proton version on each game which forced Steam to download the required files for that version and then when I switched back to the version I wanted, Steam then correctly downloaded those proton files like it should have done in the 1st place!

Same here. I Tried and failed.

I haven’t boot back into windows to see if the games are ruined.

1 Like

@Sar @mdoverl
But have you guys tried exactly as in guide?

P.S. I’m not encouraging to get back to crap of NTFS, just wonder for practical reasons :slight_smile:

1 Like

I followed a guide a couple weeks ago. Not sure if it’s the one you just linked.

Edit: just looked at your link, that is not the one I followed and this one looks far more professional.

I’ll give it a shot later on.

2 Likes

That’s why i’m asking, coz it’s official Steam / Proton one :upside_down_face:

update: thx :wink:

1 Like

My only concern. My games are already on a NTFS partition that has Windows 10 Installed. I’m worried that changing that partition could cause problems for windows booting.

I could nuke windows and start fresh. I could create one ntfs partition for windows then follow the guide and create a second ntfs partition.

That’s safest if you’re in doubt still about full-Linux, and not to kill Win…

:alien: Time has come! :upside_down_face:

And really, unless you play some very niche on-line games - you’re pretty safe…
See protondb and lutris first to see if you’ll have some trouble with your games.
I’d test everything first in some safe environment, to be sure, but it’s your choice to make :slight_smile:

Lutris is so confusing to me. That program just doesn’t click in my brain. Literally the only reason I dual boot windows 10 so I can use Launchbox with RetroArch.

I can’t get over with how amazing Launchbox is.

1 Like

I’ll be honest with you, when i’ve first started - Lutris haven’t made any sense at all to me too, it was complete voodoo, but now i admire how easy it is :slight_smile:

I hoped that guide could help get over that fear for other people as well :space_invader:

btw expect some upcoming guides for RetroArch and other emulators from some of our fellow forum users! :slight_smile:

P.S. Haven’t used LaunchBox in my days - looks great :yum:

3 Likes

Lutris isn’t too bad once you’re in the application and navigating around. I was dreading using it to install my sims 3 game and 10+ expansion packs & patch. However I used this link to install manually and I was good to go - Other than the launcher not working because of some stupid dotnet 20 issue :expressionless:

Anyhoodle I’m not sure how lutris works with retroarch, I’ve only used that emulator on android. I intend on doing some emulation myself though on lutris, so if I come across any guides and tutorials on it, I’ll report back here

Manually adding games on Lutris can be a bit of a hassle, but if you just use the lutris website and add the game from there, it should set up everything automagically for you.

Great stuff :smiling_face:

2 Likes

I installed the nvidia lib instead of the radeon one since I have a Nvidia card. Should I have done a different lib32?

What is gamemode?