Proton Acquires Standard Notes!

I gave Standard Notes a brief look a couple of years ago but didn’t take to it because of the tier system (which is RIDICULOUSLY priced for a notes app). I have no doubt that there will still be some kind of tier system, but if it’s part of your overall Proton subscription, then it’s worth it.

2 Likes

Standard Notes will continue to be open source

I was interested in Standard Notes recently because I was finding something to self host. I was totally disappointed. They have a subscription model for self hosted version, at $39/yr.

From what I could gather from their subreddit, self hosting for free will only allow plaintext files. I could be wrong here.

Yes I understand open source doesn’t imply free of cost. It was just a bummer that the costs weren’t stated upfront.

+1. The lowest paid tier is $63/yr shown in my country at the moment. Absolutely not worth a notes app. In comparison, the tasks + notes app I presently use is $16/yr. Standard Notes indeed has a more sophisticated and feature rich offering, but $63 isn’t an inviting price to begin with.

Yeah, when I went notes app hopping a few years ago, I looked at its features, then saw the tiered pricing and left the webpage.

For what it offers, the pricing makes no sense. It’s like someone just got up and slapped a price on it without checking their competitors’ pricing. Not to mention that the free tier can become very useless very quickly.

They said pricing won’t change, but it’s part of Proton… It will change eventually. If I’m wrong, then I’ll just pretend it doesn’t exist, like I’ve been doing. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Pricing is ridiculous. Any suggestion for good online (web app) and android app ?
I am using Notion, but they are not open sourced and they can read all my notes :smiley:

Online with offline storage using browser cookies: crypt.ee

Nextcloud Notes and Joplin are good options as well. Both allow you to save notes online for a fee. Nextcloud has more than just a notes app, of course.

For me, I prefer something that is offline first, and allows me to sync to whatever cloud service I want coupled with Syncthing.

I read in an interview once with Andy Yen, back in 2022, that he envisioned or wanted to make a proper (privacy respecting/friendly) competitor to the Google- and Microsoft suites. Office, email the whole bamboozle.

Something, something alternative and open-source (licensed?), something something against walled gardens.

You might need to use a translator, though. [it’s in Dutch]

2 Likes

I think I saw an English version of this, or maybe it was an announcement on Mastodon?

But yeah, it is a great thing that they are doing over at Proton. I hope they succeed. :enos:

I guess I don t get it. Maybe it does other things besides encrypting notes? For curiosity sake can you all give your use case examples for needing to use encrypted note taking? I guess if I was jotting down bank account numbers, or building a nuclear bomb, I would want to keep it all secret, but a regular joe like myself needing to encrypt a shopping list, or a future dentist appointment seems a little overkill.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Lol, so no real use case?

2 Likes

I don’t understand why someone wouldn’t want their personal notes encrypted. I certainly don’t want anyone to be able to read my personal notes.

I would think nothing of making a note with an address, an appointment, a passphrase, a phone number, etc if I know I am the only one who can see it. If it is something others can get access to, however, I would not be so quick to record that sensitive information in there.

Honesty, I don’t even want people reading through my shopping list or dental appointments. That is none of anyone’s business.

Just use a text editor, LOL.

3 Likes

Isn’t it easier to just store these things in a simple text file and then encrypt said file with gpg or something? Maybe it’s just me, but I really don’t see a point in using a third party application to do these things.

3 Likes

Lol. There was a day when computers didn t exist. How in the world did they get by without encryption :astonished:

1 Like

Because computers didn’t exist.

But now computers do exist, hence the need for cryptography.

1 Like

Unironically, encryption itself did exist. The only issue with that was, if you needed to either pass it down or hand it over to let say an apprentice. No one would be able to read it, since the entire way of reading it was only in your brain.

1 Like

Sure. Your point does not escape me. I was merely responding to what sounded like an entitled point of view. One doesn t have to write their notes on a computer. It s no different than those who swear by google maps, or whatever on a computer when they have a map or atlas in there glove box they could just as easily use. Lol. tell someone to use a paper map now? They look at you like your crazy :crazy_face:

1 Like

There was one other way. If one drank all their Ovaltine, cleaned their bedroom, and brushed their teeth, then they would get a secret decoder ring…

I read through BluishHumility’s comment again, but I honestly couldn’t find any sense of entitlement being projected. Then again, this could also due to different interpretations of the term “entitled.”

I think an important point Bluish was trying to make is that having encrypted notes is a good balance between functionality and security. For instance, compare these two use cases:

1. Writing down your personal notes with pen and paper, and then have those notes locked away in a safe.
  2. Writing down your personal notes in a text file and then encrypt it with a reliable cipher and a strong key.

For (1), your notes aren’t technically secure because, well… flamethrowers are a thing. The only way to really prevent access is to burn those notes into a crisp, but then you would no longer be able to use them. For (2), you can prevent access and still keep it secure (assuming that the encryption is reliable).

I agree with you to some extent. Swearing by any tool and hailing it as a be-all and end-all solution without taking context, circumstance, and other relevant factors into account is never a good practice. On the other hand, if one tool is objectively and demonstrably better than another, then there’s nothing wrong with preferring the former over the latter either.

I never suggested anyone needs to keep all their notes on a computer. I literally keep a Rhodia N° 11 and a Ticonderoga golf pencil in my pocket at all times and I use it every day. Refuting an argument that is different than the one actually being discussed is called a straw man fallacy.

Notes applications typically have features that a piece of paper or an ordinary text editor do not. For example, the notes may be stored online somewhere, which would allow them to be synced to your phone or other devices, or accessed through an ordinary web browser.

Once you start keeping your notes on someone else’s computer like this, you are essentially at the provider’s whim regarding how that data is managed and who can access it. They can tell you they don’t read your notes (or emails, or whatever) but you would have to take them at their word.

Adding end-to-end encryption is a great feature because it honors the user’s right to privacy. It doesn’t matter if your notes contain top-secret information or not, the right to digital privacy is important and if you have the choice between an E2EE notes app and a non-encrypted notes app, that seems like a no-brainer.

Again, I’m not saying people should use a notes app, or doing notes on your phone is better than using a piece of paper, or anything like that. I personally am not going to use this specific application because I have other solutions in place for this already. All I was responding to is this:

In my opinion it is not overkill. If anything, it should be a standard feature on apps like this. Encrypting your personal data isn’t just for people who have sensitive or top-secret information to hide, it is also for ordinary folks who have ordinary notes but want their right to digital privacy to be respected.

4 Likes