Problems to boot Windows

Hello,

This USB / Windows … when I restart the pc it does not come with the system.

My Boot sequence at the BIO:

UEFI: Sandisk Cruzer

MX19

Endeavoros

Manjaro

What appears is this message on a black screen:

WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER.

Windows failed to start to fix the problem:

1-Insert your Windows instalation disk and restart …

2-Choose your language …

3-Click repair your pc …

File \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Status 0xc000014c

Info: The Boot configuration data for you pc is missing or contains errors.

I have removed/insert the USB … rebooted the pc several times, shut down, with the same result.

So far I hadn’t had any problem getting an OS to open, this is the first time … I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong, maybe I’m missing some other detail?.

Thanks for any advice or guidance.

EDIT: More information, just in case.
Maybe this can help too, i donwloaded this windows for a website, since my previous windows, in this pc, was ereased and i can’t find neither the licence #.

Thinking that could be the ISO …

This is what it is from …

Screenshot_2020-08-20_13-20-26

What did you use to write the ISO to the usb? Most Linux ISO writers don’t work with a Windows ISO.

1 Like

@Keos maybe you have a look at WoeUSB, with this one you can write Windows on a USB!

2 Likes

No, i don’t think it was …

I always use the terminal:

keos@kaos:~$ cd Descargas

sudo dd if= Live.iso of=/dev/sdX

I forgot, the message on black screen it is from Windows, on top it says: Windows Boot Manager.

Hello @Keos
You probably got your Windows 10 bootloader messed up. Did you download the latest Windows 10 ISO from the Microsoft site? You can use it to reinstall Windows 10. If you don’t have the license number don’t worry. When you install it and it asks for the licence number just say you don’t have one and it will install with a digital licence. I don’t know if you can download the ISO from here and get the all language version. Then just write the ISO to usb and boot on it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO

1 Like

Ditto.

AFAIK it is the best/only(?) way in Linux.

There may be a terminal ‘dd’ command, but I’ve never been successful with any writing a Windows 10 ISO.

2 Likes

I always use etcher on Linux. But, everyone has their own.

I download the ISO from Microsoft.
Formatting USB with Gparted for NFST (Windows …)
I install WoeUSB

The option to install appears frozen.

I remove the USB / I also restart the pc, it is still frozen …

Screenshot_2020-08-21_09-58-16

Well, I could put it into the USB and it boot with Balenaetcher, curious, when Balena opened there was a message recommending WoeUSB, that is what is called having an own undervaluation of oneself. :smile:

Now I just have to see if it installs …

I don’t know what to do, I have to think whether or not to use a virtual machine (will it be worth it? - I only want it to run a Chess program.). Qemu takes up a lot of memory, my partitions are 30GB and I don’t want to know anything about Virtualbox.

Do you think that if I install an independent Windows on a disk partition of this machine (I have plenty of space) it will have conflicts with Linux?. Before in the other machine I always had problems with the time, it changed by itself … I don’t know if with UEFI …

Thanks for the help!

try ventoy

1 Like

Thanks but it already works with Balena.

The point now it is ‘if’ to install windows/only for a chess program in the pc or a virtual-machine.

Is the chess game a Windows game?

No, as far as I know, stockfish (the base program) is an opensource. For example here in this list they classify the different programs / engines by color …

Color legend: Commercial, Free, Open source, Private.

https://ccrl.chessdom.com/ccrl/4040/

The problem apparently is with the NNUE not activating on Linux.
And the scid_vs_ GUI is not unique to Windows either.

Beyond chess … I can’t give reasons — maybe if some of you contacted Stockfish you could get the necessary information.

What is NNUE?

https://blog.stockfishchess.org/post/625828091343896577/introducing-nnue-evaluation

Without Windows there is nothing i can do …

I rewrite the ISO file from Windows page many times with differents device, even by the terminal with dd, there is not way it can works, when it boot you got the same message:

“The media driver your PC needs is missing. It can be a DVD. USB or hard drive. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive that may contain the driver, insert it now.

Note: If the Windows installation media is on a DVD drive or USB drive, you can safely remove it to perform this step. "

They asking for download the system from another Windows and at the same time:

“You’ve been routed to this page because the operating system you’re using won’t support the Windows 10 media creation tool and we want to make sure that you can download Windows 10.”

It is a fallacy, they are not offering anything by free, they are liars.

Any way, thank you very much for trying to help.

It is far easier to use a Windows computer if you are using the Windows media Creation Tool to create the iso. This is not what you want. You need to download the ISO directly.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO

It is the same link that you previously put, it leads directly to this site:

Screenshot_2020-08-22_11-47-03

And i downloaded it too many times …

Somehow you are doing something wrong. It might be your ad blocker or browser or vpn or something. I don’t know what? I am going to this page on Linux and i don’t get that! As you can see i can download the ISO in any language. This is the full ISO which you use dd from Linux to put on a usb and it should work. I do not know what you are doing as i am not there. Turn off the ad blocker or what ever else may be the issue. Or go to the Microsoft site available in your country? I’m not sure what the issue is.

Screenshot_2020-08-22_11-56-15

Edit: The media creation tool is only if you are on a Windows system and is used to create a boot-able usb of Windows.

It is the same page that i got from here, just that the capture can’y show the whole page so i only display the top, but looks at this now:

Screenshot_2020-08-22_12-09-18

It is the same place …

Okay so what is the problem then? You down load the ISO and you have to create a bootable usb. You should be able to use WoeUSB.

It dosen’t matter what divise i use to write the ISO into USB, i always got this nessage asking for “a controler” that need to be provider …

“The media driver your PC needs is missing. It can be a DVD. USB or hard drive. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive that may contain the driver, insert it now."