Problems installing in UEFI, Calamares

Hi everybody,

Long time … i used Antergos. It was a Toshiba PC and it never works fine so i abandoned the system.

The problem now is i got this new PC, Dell Inspiron 3583 with UEFI very new to me, i was able to install Manjaro but now i’m having problems with Calamares in the installation of EndeavourOS:

After the last step the NEXT step is not coming up, still frozen, i’m doing something wrong, i know, but i have no idea …

I was looking for a tutorial but most of them are for Windows dual boot with Linux and installation from the terminal which is very complex for me at the moment.

Thanks for any advise or idea!.

Hello and welcome!

It would seem from your picture that your partitions and mount points are not ok.
The /boot/efi mount point should point to the FAT32 partiton. And do not format it if it already has Windows or other operating system stuff in it!

The root mount point (/) then should go to one of the ext4 partitions. Unless you have special requirements, that should do it.

Well, let me see if i can understand, first i will show you a picture from Gparted:

It doesn’t looks the same i think.

Gparted is a different program so it looks different. But the information seems the same on both.

By the way, did you read the EndeavourOS wiki about install tips and instructions?

fat32 partition must be only mounted and not formatting it! it needs the boot flag to be enabled (esp was it before but they merge boot and esp to the same) this is used by other installed systems also to keep boot entries for them (Manjaro in your case?)

/ root-filesystem is then your system partition nvme0n1p3 this must be formatted (e.g. ext4) and mountpoint setting to /

@manuel No i don’t see any wiki, by the way it was difficult to find this forum, is not at the main page …

@joekamprad Yes, Manjaro is in the first partition. In Manjaro they told me the partition was fine. How can i chose fat 32 if not by marking the formatting option?.

Do you means that i have to eliminate everything i did before in order to install EndeavourOS?.

I don’t understand. Would you please be more clear, i’m not an expert. Thanks.

file system is frozen …

I forgot this image too from before …

@Keos you can also upload the image directly on the forum. Just use the image in the toolbar when you are typing a message. Don’t use that upload service you’re using, it is on the spam list by the forum software.

@manuel No i don’t see any wiki, by the way it was difficult to find this forum, is not at the main page …

@joekamprad Yes, Manjaro is in the first partition. In Manjaro they told me the partition was fine. How can i chose fat 32 if not by marking the formatting option?.

Do you means that i have to eliminate everything i did before in order to install EndeavourOS?.

I don’t understand. Would you please be more clear, i’m not an expert. Thanks.

(upload://AqOqUxNGinb4SRihjV8y5l8jhWM.png)Screenshot_2020-01-01_10-57-49

Sorry if everything is a mess.

I think that maybe could be better if you start asking me questions again, now i’m lost

I was trying to say too that if i do not mark formatting option i’m unable to get fat 32 because it is frozen when not marked:

Screenshot_2020-01-01_10-57-49

hi. instead of /boot/efi you have to take / (root)
because this is your root path for your endeavour installation!

This is what i was doing before and see what i got:

Screenshot_2020-01-01_11-43-21

we will get this working:

to add EndeavourOS you do not need to run gparted and you do not need to remove Manjaro or any other installed system, install will add EndeavourOS to the already existing fat32 (EFI) partition, you need only need to format the root filesystem partition nvme0n1p3 and create the mountpoint for it. the fat32 (EFI) partition needs only to be mounted on the right place so not formatted, as this would remove entries for other systems inside this partition.
For this you must choose manual partition here:

Bildschirmfoto_2020-01-01_17-31-46

Then choose the fat32 partition and click edit (bottom right) to see this:

Bildschirmfoto_2020-01-01_17-35-45

here let content be keep and not by any ways Format choosen!!!
mountpoint set to /boot/efi flag to boot, this will open a warning later but simple ignore it by click on O.K. as it wants ESP flag what is not existing anymore as it is now the same as boot

Bildschirmfoto_2020-01-01_17-53-35

Then choose the partition /dev/nvme0n1p3 (if this is free for install EndeavourOS on) and set Mount Point to /
File System to ext4:
root

It will look not exactly the same on your system as you have nvme devices and in my shots there is normal HD (/dev/sdX)

This should be all to do on partition, and system should install fine and you will be able to boot EndeavouOS and Manjaro by choosing it from early boot menu…

1 Like

Lets go through step by step from the beginning.
I assume your USB stick is OK since you seem to boot with it.
Then you selected languages in the installer, and that’s probably OK too.

Then go to the first slide where partitions are created and selected. Explain exactly what partitions and what mount points you plan to set. Don’t format anything yet.

Don’t go any further yet, because partitioning is the most essential part of the whole process.

OK, @joekamprad was first, nice! :smile:

1 Like

would be good to know to not to make mistakes due to misunderstandings …

1 Like

@joekamprad

As you said, and in order not to make a big mistake, this is what i got at first place …

– it is not the same at your picture:

Screenshot_2020-01-01_11-43-21

nvme0n1p1 = EFI fat32 partition 480MB > to only set mountpoint to /boot/efi and not formatting
nvme0n1p2 = Manjaro ~30GB > let as it is
nvme0n1p3 = free partition to install EndeavourOS ~30GB > to format with ext4 and set mountpoint to /

nvme0n1p4 = ext4 ~30GB
nvme0n1p5 = ext4 ~30GB
nvme0n1p6 = ext4 ~30GB
free space extra = 87,6GB

click “Siguiente” Next and then edit the partitions nvme0n1p1 and nvme0n1p3 as i say …

As i said, this is what did before too, and this is what i got:

thats only a warning click ok i was giving you that before already :wink:
Bildschirmfoto_2020-01-01_19-20-32

1 Like

Screenshot_2020-01-01_14-29-16

Is it O’K? if it is so that means dualboot, the system will be installed in the same partition, the first one (fat32) as ext 4. right? is it o’k?, an ask you because i want to be sure of what i’m going to do now.

nvme0n1p1 = 488 MiB FAT32 is the Boot Partition! (Do not format this!!!) :flushed:

nvme0n1p2 = Manjaro installed → do nothing !

nvme0n1p3 = no boot, because its the / (root) partition, where Endeavour OS will be installed!