Power Management Service appears not to be running

Since weeks (or months?) or so my monitor and pc does not go to sleep automatically anymore. The System Settings module is not loaded in and the service is not running.

2024-02-16_07-50

It works until someday it suddenly stops working and I only notice it after some time passed and the system is still up and running. The packages powerdevil power-profiles-daemon are installed. To solve this, I have to run the desktop file manually once: /etc/xdg/autostart/powerdevil.desktop and then it would persist working even after a restart of the system and after updates I think… until it breaks days and weeks later for unknown reasons again.

Here is a relative new bug report I found: https://www.mail-archive.com/kde-bugs-dist@kde.org/msg876230.html but I experience this problem a bit longer than this report. There is a bugfix it seems, but no idea when we get it.

This is not the biggest deal, but what should I do? Just wait until Plasma 6 update is here? Edit: Oh I forgot some info about my system:

Kernel: 6.7.4-arch1-1
Uptime: 17 hours, 29 mins
Packages: 1397 (pacman), 14 (flatpak)
Shell: bash 5.2.26
Display (AG271QG): 2560x1440 @ 120Hz
DE: KDE Plasma 5.27.10
WM: KWin (X11)
WM Theme: Breeze
Theme: Breeze (Dark) [QT], Breeze [GTK2/3/4]
Icons: breeze-dark [QT], breeze-dark [GTK2/3/4]
Font: NotoSans Nerd Font (12pt) [QT], NotoSans Nerd Font (12pt) [GTK2/3/4]
Cursor: breeze (24px)
Terminal: konsole 23.8.5
Terminal Font: JetBrainsMono Nerd Font Mono (11pt)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X (16) @ 5,57 GHz
GPU 1: AMD Radeon RX 7600 (RADV NAVI33) [Discrete] Mesa 23.3.5-arch1.1
GPU 2: AMD Radeon Graphics (RADV RAPHAEL_MENDOCINO) [Integrated] Mesa 23.3.5-arch1.1
Memory: 4,76 GiB / 30,50 GiB (16%)
Swap: 36,00 MiB / 512,00 MiB (7%)

For whatever reason the program does not start with the xdg autostart located at: “/etc/xdg/autostart/powerdevil.desktop”

For the time being, I run the executable path that is found in the Exec= line of .desktop entry manually. I don’t know if there are side effects, because it does not run with root privileges (which it would at xdg autostart). I simply added an autostart entry with the executable /usr/lib/org_kde_powerdevil to System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Autostart > +Add… > + Add Application…

2024-02-17_13-30

Hi thingsiplay

How long has it been since you last updated? I only ask because you mention you may have had this issue for a while - and i remember a bug in ddcutil recently that caused an issue like you describe.

If you haven’t updated in a while, just opening a terminal:

yay

should fix it.

The problem in ddcutil :

I update all the time, mostly daily or a few days at least, especially when there is a problem. Otherwise I would not have the at the time up to date Kernel version. The current version of ddcutil I have is 2.1.3-1 .

(never mind, I deleted this paragraph)

I will remove the manual added autostart entry I described earlier, to see if this problem happens again. If not, then it might work forever and you won’t hear anything from me again.

Update: a few minutes later

So I restarted the system and the Power Management is broken, it does not load, even with ddcutil 2.1.3-1. I will restart with LTS Kernel now and report back. Edit: Well, it does not load up with LTS Kernel either, so this is not the problem.

What about the upower.service? :

systemctl status upower

1 Like

I just wake up my system from sleep BTW, so it works with my “workaround”. This is the output (note, /usr/lib/org_kde_powerdevil is currently manually started and running):

$ systemctl status upower
â—Ź upower.service - Daemon for power management
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/upower.service; disabled; preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Sun 2024-02-18 07:31:22 CET; 19h ago
Docs: man:upowerd(8)
Main PID: 950 (upowerd)
Tasks: 4 (limit: 37454)
Memory: 13.3M (peak: 14.0M)
CPU: 3.181s
CGroup: /system.slice/upower.service
└─950 /usr/lib/upowerd

Feb 18 07:31:22 Batman systemd[1]: Starting Daemon for power management...
Feb 18 07:31:22 Batman systemd[1]: Started Daemon for power management.

I will re-login in my session without manually starting /usr/lib/org_kde_powerdevil and post the results here too in hot minute. Edit: Oh okay, the output is the same. But now my KDE module does not run anymore and my system would not go to sleep.

I should note something else that is important too, and linked to this issue. When I logout while the powerdevil service is NOT running, then I can’t login into my KDE session anymore and need to restart the entire PC instead. I don’t have the exact message at hand (need to make a photo, or type it with a pen and paper to capture output, like in stone age), unless it is logged somewhere. This issue does not happen if powerdevil is running.

Maybe upower.service doesn’t have the symlink created to autostart somehow:

sudo systemctl enable upower.service

Then Reboot.

If that does not work then i’m running out of ideas.

Do you have the latest bios update for your computer?

1 Like

Thank you for having patience and taking the time to help me with suggestions. The command created a symlink, but after reboot problem persists. My PC is build about in summer 2023 and I never updated the BIOS, because of bad experience from prior system. The power management problem started maybe after 2024, so I’m hesitant to upgrade BIOS (if any available). But will look into it in the future with proper preparation.

For now I will continue with manual autostart entry, as it works well it seems.

I ran into this issue as well. For me the issue was a change in default settings of:

/usr/lib/systemd/user/plasma-powerdevil.service

Timeoutsec= had been changed from the prior default to 5sec upstream. I changed it to 15sec and the issue went away after a reboot. I

[Unit]
Description=Powerdevil
PartOf=graphical-session.target
After=plasma-core.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/lib/org_kde_powerdevil
Type=dbus
BusName=org.kde.Solid.PowerManagement
TimeoutSec=15sec
Slice=background.slice
Restart=on-failure

3 Likes

Just as a for what is worth:

If you have edited this file directly, it will get overwritten in the next update to powerdevil.

Have a look into how to create an override conf for a systemd service.

Perhaps something like:

sudo systemctl edit plasma-powerdevil.service

By the way, welcome to EnOS’ community @seija !

:enos: :handshake:t5:

2 Likes

I can confirm this to be working, thank you! But as @pebcak suggested, I would like to edit with the systemctl command. But sudo systemctl edit plasma-powerdevil (with or without .service part) results in following message:

No files found for plasma-powerdevil.service.
Run 'systemctl edit --force --full plasma-powerdevil.service' to create a new unit.

But the file is in “/usr/lib/systemd/user/plasma-powerdevil.service” and I just edited it as suggested and restarted with a success. Why don’t systemctl find the file?

EDIT: Turns out I need the --user flag and it does only work without sudo it seems. I did not edit the file this way yet, as I don’t know if this is correct. Notice the path, it’s in /user/ subdirectory.

$ systemctl status plasma-powerdevil
Unit plasma-powerdevil.service could not be found.

$ systemctl --user status plasma-powerdevil
â—Ź plasma-powerdevil.service - Powerdevil
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib ...

$ sudo systemctl --user edit plasma-powerdevil
[sudo] password for tuncay:
Failed to connect to bus: No medium found

$ systemctl --user edit plasma-powerdevil

So the last command systemctl --user edit plasma-powerdevil will open the file to edit in my neovim with current configuration. Is this the correct way?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.