Post-install script

Do you guys have a post-install script? With which I mean a script you run after a fresh install of your OS (Endeavour or Arch), which handles setting up the system to your liking?

I’ve been hard at work at mine and I wanted to share my progress. In its current form it perfectly installs my system the way I like it (at the moment…). It made me wonder if more people have a similar thing and how they went about creating theirs.

Mine can be found here.

5 Likes

I have some - but they are nowhere near as pretty! Quite a bit mnore stuf in them, though. (light-dm, Sigil, Libreoffice-fresh, Seamonkey, Kid3-qt, Inkscape, Gimp, Puzzles, catfish for instance) and AUR stuff (yay, paru, Brave-bin, conky-cairo, conkywx, audacious-gtk3 Delft-icon-pack etc etc).

I have never sorted out the configurations enough to script them - I am impressed you have! :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks! Maybe I just have way too much time on my hands these days…

1 Like

I rarely do a completely new build. When I do a fresh install I usually restore my user directory from a BackInTime snapshot. I have a BackInTime set up to refresh a simple text file in my home directory with the list of my installed packages right before each backup. I use this text file with yay to install all of my packages and take it from there. I don’t have a lot of other customized stuff outside that.

2 Likes

I rarely install an OS on my computers, certainly less than once a year… So I haven’t bothered making a script. By the time I’d use it again, it would probably be outdated.

Not something I would do (because I’m lazy) but thats pretty cool

1 Like

Maintenance ia key! I don’t reinstall on my main machine a lot, or barely at all, but I do on my other devices and in vm’s. Plus it’s just fun to see the script so its thing and by magic there’s the system I know!

1 Like

Yes, but I am not going to maintain a script I seldom use. I have better ways to wast spend my time.

Like learning ancient Egyptian. Or talking to frogs.

or talking to frogs in ancient Egyptian…

7 Likes

PRIORITIES!!! :frog:

Personally i’m with @Joris on that one :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I created one such script but a while later I came to a finding that it was a waste of time. Especially for a rolling release distro which I don’t have to reinstall every now and then.
I just backup config files (even whole /etc) and list of all manualy installed packages. It is faster that way and I don’t have to worry if the install script is still functioning after several months. There is also a big chance I will sooner forget what the script does and where I even have it.

1 Like

I like that this is apparently somewhat polarizing, as it seems some are for and some are against it. What I wish though, is that people for would share theirs. I can’t possibly be the only one with a script like this. :smile:

Who? As far as I can see, nobody is against it, at least not in this thread.

It seems to me you’re interpreting my lack of enthusiasm as being against it. Rest assured, I’m not at all against it, and I have no objections to you doing it. I just stated that I’m too lazy to bother with it, nothing else.

You’re certainly not. LARBS is one of the more well-known such scripts. What I would advise against, however, is using other people’s install scripts unless you understand completely what they do.

I am in the same camp as Kresimir … I am not against an install script, I am just lazy and came up with a low-effort, sorry excuse of a work around :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do share this lazy workaround!

It’s the approach I outlined in an earlier reply in this thread. It doesn’t create a completely clean new build, because I cheat by restoring from a prior build to get a snapshot of my home directory including text file listing of packages from my previous install.