Post hidden by community flag?

:speaking_head:

“Stupid questions simply don’t exist with us”
source: https://endeavouros.com/

4 Likes

Mum always said is stupid only the stupidity !

A question doesn’t have to be stupid in order to be flagged. It could be a duplicate of a question that’s already been asked, for example. That shows that a 1 minute prior search on the forum was not considered by an OP to be minimal courtesy. That’s being sanctioned by the community because it shows disrespect for it.

In this case however it was already made clear that the question was being flagged because it invites flame wars.

Flame wars are never a good thing. Thus this has been taken care of in the interest of the community. It’s not like the OP asked for help and was rejected. It was also nothing personal against the OP.

I think these explanations should help OP understand there was no offense intended and no personal action taken against him.

@andrew_ysk you are welcome to ask any question you want, and if it happens that a post gets flagged that’s also part of a healthy community. If that flagging is abused, the system has a mechanism to auto-correct.

9 Likes

So, I read over the flagged comment that is in question here.

The problem isn’t entirely that it was a question about what DE should I use, or even what is the best. The second line of the question is answered by himself in a way that clearly could come across as a way to create an argument.

There are no stupid questions here. This wasn’t a question. It was rhetorical, and then answered, by the OP in the very same post. It doesn’t make it stupid, it makes it (properly) flagged.

Perhaps it was just a “Eureka” moment?

:bulb:

Wrong. I’ve seen plenty! :wink: Usually made by…

4 Likes

It’s certainly not the way it comes across to me the way I read it.

I am not saying that it was a “Eureka” moment. Just because:

So at the end of the the day, it’s a question of a subjective interpretation and a quite arbitrary one. But that is how we make far more important decisions in life.

Are you a lawyer? Did you actually read it?

Actually i prefer to see the op, and things alway gone wrong. Atleast not intended. But i would with respect hear the op @andrew_ysk,. Before it goes out of line :+1:

Thank you​:heart:

Let’s answer your question with another question :wink:

Could you assert that you know for facts that the intention of the poster was to create an argument or even worse to start a flame war? Or it is the way you interpret it as you said before?

If taken as an statement it is not far from the mark as seen by the result of the poll in this forum. I opt for this latter interpretation.

Give pause sil vous plait, lets wait for the op :sweat_smile::+1:

1 Like

D’accord!
:blush:

1 Like

I know the question that @andrew_ysk asked, as I and @plgonzalezrx8 both answered before the topic was hidden. I just want to say that I also did not think it was a stupid question, and while I know for some veteran users some of these so-called “noob” questions may seem a bit silly to us, but it is imperative that veteran Linux users remember that we were all novices at one point, whether that was a year ago or twenty years ago. In my personal opinion veteran users have so much more to gain by being friendly and informative, because it only helps us grow our beloved communities. That said, if any new users stumble across this comment, please by all means send me a private message if you want to ask something that you feel may be a “dumb” question and I will help all that I can, it makes me feel honored to help those trying to learn the basics of Linux for the first time.

5 Likes

Sometimes a expaninding community has growting pain. Im sure we aware if such things we will deal future properly but discussen is internally to havr not to tigut but right… but we cannot also affort to burn out te moderators thats always goes bad.

But for now want see the op otherwise this become more a off topic talk and woulf help him also not

Usually, yes. But I’ve seen a fair share of stupid questions asked by otherwise very smart people. Nobody is immune to it. :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah I just looked through his entire history and I’ve seen nothing wrong with anything he’s ever said. Unless the Post is hidden there also, I still see nothing wrong with how the user has interacted with anyone.

@andrew_ysk I really think you push to get that post unflagged. I’ve seen nothing in your history that warrants this kind of censorship.

@mdoverl what are you talking about? I already explained the topic was hidden because it was an invitation to start a DE flame war.

Please read this post again:

2 Likes

I am not intending to question your moderation, but I am not able to see anything in the ongoing discussion in that thread that the OP’s intention has been to start a flame war. I can see no evidence of that in support of such an interpretation.

4 Likes

@andrew_ysk I looked into the post and there was no reason for flagging or hiding it, our apologies for this.
Of course, you can ask a question like that, as said earlier, stupid questions don’t exist over here.

12 Likes