Polybar closes after unplugging & pluggin monitor

Since a recent system update, not including Polybar, I’ve been running into the following bug. When I launch Polybar for all connected monitors, and after disconnecting and reconnecting any monitor, all Polybar processes will terminate with the following output:

notice: Received signal(15): Terminated
notice: Termination signal received, shutting down...

I tried setting screenchange-reload = false and monitor-strict = false in my Polybar config, but neither helped.

I’m not sure what process is sending Polybar a SIGTERM signal. Does anyone know how I can find this process?

Try to see journal, maybe there’s some more info on it’s binary

journalctl "/usr/bin/polybar"

I do not think this is the BUG with the way we build the package… and… as it is now in community we do not build the package anyway for the EndeavourOS repo :wink:

I see last update is from 2023-01-19 10:45 UTC

If you think it is caused by this update try downgrading it?
And if you can identify a BUG go to report this upstream please:

How did you launch polybar ?

I tried downgrading the package, but that didn’t fix it. I’ve already reported the bug upstream too.

1 Like

I’m doing it with the following snippet in an autorandr postswitch:

# Terminate already running bar instances
killall -q polybar

# Wait until the processes have been shut down
while pgrep -u $UID -x polybar >/dev/null; do sleep 1; done

polybar --reload top -l info &>> log.txt&

I’ve just realized what’s happening. This runs once my monitor is reconnected, which causes polybar to close, but for some reason, the last line doesn’t relaunch polybar even though I can see its output in the log file, which doesn’t indicate any errors.

It looks like it was a bug with autorandr, which was just fixed. Sorry for the spam.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.