Plasma 6 (KDE) just reaching the repositories

I updated my first EndeavourOS laptop to 6 today (Inspiron 5425). Went far smoother than I expected, my theme still worked. Did have to reset to use X11 instead of Wayland, but everything so far functions.
The “floating” panel I hate. Luckily they made it very easy to figure out how to turn it off. I like that the activity bar is way smaller now so you get more room in the Panel for applications. Wobbly windows still works, phew. Don’t care about cube myself, but I need my wobbly windows!!! So far, nowhere near as bad of doom and gloom as I was expecting after upgrading my Neon install.

Edit: I see the KDE devs went to the Microsoft school of display. I updated my Elitebook 845 G10, and after rebooting it had defaulted to “we want the people on the ISS to be able to read your screen with their unaided naked eye the zoom is going to be set so large”. Ugh…even setting as far away as my arms could stretch it was unpleasant with how INSANELY huge everything was.

Qt6-quick 3d installed and the cube worked :wink:

Concerning this problem with nerd fonts that are not rendered anymore: if you explicitly set a nerd font it works. Previously, as long as you had installed a nerd font in your system, even if you hadn’t set that font explicitly, Qt was looking for a font providing the nerd glyph. Now, this behavior has been intentionally removed: https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/commit/?id=a44b6950268214d802bc7ce7df09975261263e31.

See also my comment on the other topic: KDE Plasma 6 and nerd fonts - #16 by lorebett

1 Like

Looks like the requirements have changed: you do need “qt6-quick3d and reboot”, but 4 desktops are not needed anymore: it works with 3 as well:

3 Likes

I just noticed that since the Plasma 6 Update I cannot save LibreOffice documents, I tried a “new” one. Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm that they save however they do not save as the name you give them instead it saved as untitled

2 Likes

I can confirm that. I have just tried it out.
The file dialogue opens. If you then click on “Save”, it appears again immediately. Nothing is saved. Libreoffice cannot be used in this way.

I thought nothing had saved at first myself, did you check documents and see if there was a file called Untitled 1.otd?
But I agree this makes it very hard to use. I don’t have any older documents anymore does the same behaviour happen with them?

Found another solution: In Settings, activate “Use LibreOffice Dialogs”.
Question is WHY it cannot “Save as” (with a new name) any longer.
When I start loffice from the Terminal, I see these error messages:

kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: Could not find file filter

I tried to search for the parts given there to no avail. Looks like some glue library is missing in Plasma 6?

Saving (Ctrl-S) does work, Save-As (new name) does not.

Hmm, applying the setting you just mentioned allows me to both save and save as now.

Yes, “Save as…” also works with this.

There seems to be a problem with the Plasma6 file dialogue in combination with Libreoffice.

But I can live with the LO dialogues for now.

1 Like

you need at least 3 workspaces:

and cube effect have to show up and be enabled:

If it does not show up it is not supported.

When I switched to x11 trying to get the silly cube to work (sigh), my hp probook had the same behavior. It is only in x11, not wayland (for me).

Somebody has partially ported ksysguard to Qt6 (available in the AUR)

2 Likes

Thanks @joekamprad

AFAIK, I have all of that stuff the same.

is this on real hardware or VM? and if real hardware what GPU and drivers?

Saving with libreoffice appears to be working for me. I opened libre office writer. Typed a few words and tried both save and save as. They both worked fine with the plasma file dialog.

I wish I would’ve seen this post before.
Although I do like the new sound effects, I did noticed that some icons changed, some personalisation stuff, like the login screen animation, which also takes longer to login, are not working, wallpaper plugins are gone and my microphone is (still) not working.
Probably missed a few stuff.

Also, I guess it’s possible to roll back, but I guess the risk of breaking other packages would be too big?

Real hardware. Two different systems, but both amd so possibly relevant. Both just using kernel drivers (6.7.8), and qt 6.6.2:

1. AMD Radeon RX 6600. amd ryzen 5 5600x; desktop /w 2 monitors
  2. amd ryzen 5 4500U with radeon graphics; laptop (hp probook 445 g7)