Plasma 5.26 is (now) here!

Do you have AMD Ryzen or Intel CPU? Just wondering whether that’s a coincidence or not.

Intel CPU, I also use the LTS kernel over the latest

Whaaaat???

Don’t you know that…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Bugs??? I call them unexpected features

4 Likes

Unwanted, undesired…, unheard of features!! :rofl:

1 Like

Wondering if it’s really only affecting amd Ryzen cpu users. For whatever reason. Else seems they have either amd or Nvidia GPU

Sometimes, but they always force me to learn something

1 Like

Yeah… blessings in disguise :wink: :smile:

1 Like

As for those bugs or “unexpected features”, Plasma 5.26.1 has hit the Arch repos on the day of release. The changelog is here.

I’m sure that Gnome 43 will be available soon :snail:

I have never used multiple monitors so i can’t comment. I got no bugs here.

1 Like

I’m yet to see any bugs except for 1 that has popped up very rarely for ages now - when connecting an external hdd it sometimes shows it twice in dolphin, but closing dolphin and reopening fixes it

5.26.1 seems to have fixed the occasional problems I had with the taskbar and right-click not always working.

2 Likes

Bug free of course :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Guaranteed!

I run it on openSUSE Tumbleweed and Fedora 37 and I haven’t come across a single bug.
My essential extensions are all working. But not being part of the DE itself, they don’t count.
Of course as everything else, it all is a case of varying mileage :wink:

But you know the refrain:

There are no bugs in GNOME.
:speech_balloon:

:sunglasses:

Gnome bugs …

2 Likes

I Can’t see how it’s the Ryzen CPU, because it’s not an APU (No onboard graphics). If it were the Kernel, everyone would have the problem no matter what DE, but all three of us are on KDE Plasma. :thinking: I filed the bug with KDE:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=460623

They have been very slow even acknowledging new bug requests ever since they started that new method of squashing bugs fast thing. So if they are squashing bugs faster, then at the cost of not addressing new ones for much longer. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I think they need to slow down adding new features, and fix all of the bugs first, or else they are just building new features on a buggy framework! :angry:

I have more features than I know what to do with, and they have way more than most DE’s, so bugs should be their main priority for the rest of the year, and maybe even all of next year! :face_with_monocle:

Also, I think the problem is with Plasma not remembering display settings and changes: Move some Icons on the desktop, open some apps and change the windows size and position; reboot: Are they as you changed them, or did the changes not take? if the changes didn’t take, then maybe you too should follow my link and chime in, as KDE are probably the best place to go for this, not Redit, Stack exchange… which is where way too many go when they have issues instead of bug trackers! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I also have an AMD Ryzen CPU/GPU laptop recently purchased and it has an integrated AMD graphics. I currently run gnome, but have to see, could perhaps install KDE for testing and bug reporting purpose.

I also think it’s better to do it directly rather than reddit etc… but I guess most people don’t even know how to report a bug properly and have never done so.

Well, plenty of people who already have Plasma installed who can see if they can reproduce it.

All they have to do is let the system go into monitor suspend (not full sleep) and see what happens, although I don’t blame them if they don’t, and have to deal with a non working display.

I wonder if there’s an X-org or Plasma settings file that can be fixed or regenerated.

Finally heard back from KDE, and they marked it as duplicate of other bug:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=460341

1 Like

As for the bug report on KDE’s bug tracker:

They marked it as fixed, and as usual said nothing about how to apply it. Someone pointed to a link to a “Commit”, but to me a mere user it’s worthless, other than it means some change to the software was suggested, possibly even made. So I checked the updates and sure enough there were some for Plasma, including one for “Plasma Display”.

I updated, rebooted: No change! I opened the settings app, tried to enable the monitor, set it as primary (still reporting the refresh rate at 30Hz only possible (Still wrong) clicked Apply, and all of the open apps shift to the left, 1/2 on and 1/2 off screen, the dialog with the “Keep” and “revert” buttons does nothing on clicking (Cursor positioning incorrect?) and it reverts. Reboot doesn’t change anything.

So I gave them this same info as here, including a “Translation for mere users please” and reopened the bug as not fixed! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

No wonder so many people look elsewhere for help, as the KDE bug tracker is made solely for their own internal use, like having to select a module first, as if mere users would know that, and then never speaking in terms a user can understand, even when their bug tracker is full of requests to do just that!

So: It’s not fixed, or if it is, then how to apply it is not published and so useless! I’m still on it the case though…

I don’t understand half these problems reported on Kde Plasma as i don’t have any. I am running a Ryzen but i have dedicated AMD graphics. I don’t use more than one monitor and besides if i did i would be connecting the monitors both directly to the graphics card unlike laptops that the hardware is all over the map. They are all different hence why i think so many issues with multi monitor hook up. Some work fine others don’t. I don’t know …everybody wants to call everything a bug. Far as I’m concerned they are hardware issues and could possibly be a bug in the software but i’m not always so quick to jump to that conclusion. I just don’t have these issues so i don’t know. I think too may users also make way too many changes to Kde Plasma and that’s where they end up with issues. Just my opinion. :man_shrugging:

Edit: Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying there aren’t ever any issues. There are always going to be some issue. That’s just the nature of rolling release Arch and also most desktops.

2 Likes