Plasma 5.26 is (now) here!

Who said I’m on a laptop? I’m not, and I am running both monitors off a graphics card, because I have a CPU, not an APU, and It’s not a hardware problem, nor a kernel problem! It is in fact a Plasma problem, and them trying to make everything work in Wayland, and breaking X11 in the process! I have been running it just fine for over a month now! I can also switch users and it still works on other accounts, but had to disable it from putting the displays in suspend so it doesn’t mess them up too.

Have you tried disabling DPMS?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Display_Power_Management_Signaling#Setting_up_DPMS_in_X

Well, I’d think it is/was setup, because I set it via KDE’s settings app, and have had my displays suspend after 15 minutes of inactivity, and they come right back after unlocking the screen via login password. This problem arose after a suspend and screen unlock. After that, the monitor works up to and including the KDE splash screen on reboot, and then only one monitor comes on line, meaning DKMS’s settings shouldn’t have anything to do with it, at least not at that point.

Now, it may have to do with how KDE Plasma handles screen suspends: Possibly by writing to the very same files that store ones display setups, and is now messing it up when the screens suspend! The fact that the problem persists on reboot, and the screen can no longer be turned on at all may indicate that even the settings app is now getting false info!

I should hook up my other new monitor and see if I run into the same problem? I’ll have to get a couple of display port to HDMI adapted first. Maybe on the weekend I’ll try this on my Ryzen with AMD RX 590. Both monitors are identical.

1 Like

The KDE folk are working on trying to figure it out. I don’t think you should need to spend money on adapters to try to figure out something that may already be fixed by then! :roll_eyes:

Oh, and why do you have a new monitor and not using it, or are you? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I love having dual monitors, with YouTube videos playing on one, while I am doing work on another. :slightly_smiling_face:

I bought two brand new Samsung 24" Gaming Monitors 1ms about two years ago. They were sitting in the storage room and I got an Pi 400 so i needed to hook it to Hdmi and these monitors have vga and Hdmi so i got one out and have a switch on it to have my system and the Pi 400 hooked to the same monitor. I should get both hooked up but my video card has 3 DP port and 1 Hdmi so i need the adapters anyway.

Don’t mean to be a gnome troll :rofl: but KDE developer says it himself! Stop adding features and fix bugs…

Edit: if you watch the video, you will see that he is more reasonable than the title suggests.

Can’t Gnome stop adding extensions and just pick the best ones and incorporate them into the desktop?

1 Like

Extensions are optional. Easy to add in Firefox, one click away.

Edit: KDE has widgets :wink:

I don’t use Widgets…they are optional! :wink:

Are you sure about that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Widgets
Addons, widgets, plasmoids… They all refer to the same thing. The clock and calendar in your panel, the notifier, your KDE Connect monitor, the volume control; these are all widgets, and all can be added elsewhere, moved around, removed and, in true Plasma fashion, modified to an extreme degree.

I agree wholeheartedly! :heart_eyes:

I like widgets, gizmos, thingumabobs, and even doohickeys! :crazy_face:

At first glance, it works without any problems after the update. As usual, there were changes in the interface and design, but not much in the content.

1 Like

Does this allow configuration of the touchpad like eg. v5.23 on Slackware? I would like to disable scrolling completely, also the visuals for Dolphin. Otherwise I have to plug in a mouse and use instead of touchpad. Cannot disable all the stupid animations and eye-tiring effects but would have to deal with that.

Other than the looks and the animations that the kids want, I fail to see what is the big deal with this D.E. Not on my setup of EndeavourOS because I have XFCE, but on another budget laptop and another Arch-based Linux I’m having issues with menu display. Sometimes flickering, sometimes black menu box then weird flashing when I pass through menu items. I might have to enable all animations and stuff like that, and/or recompile the “initrd”, it sucks.

Ok, we get it, but this IS a thread about Plasma, for Plasma users, and you disrupting us discussing Plasma, is not constructive critique.

Would you like if I went bananas over Xfce, in a tread assigned for discussing Xfce?

4 Likes

Acknowledging how annoying this behavior is, you would have been indifferent to it if you were a GNOME user. It happens in almost each and every GNOME thread. And guess who from :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

You beat me to it :joy::joy:
This goes on almost every gnome threads and plasma threads too, just that Xfce is a new entry

2 Likes

But I am a “Plasma user” LOL, just not on EndeavourOS. In fact I also have NeptuneOS on pluggable disk that I’ve been forgetting about lately, and fussy Slackware 32-bit both also with Plasma but slightly older versions. That’s why I made my post before the one you quoted which was the first one ever on this site. :love:

I’m not disrupting anything, and I don’t care which D.E. is better than another as long as it works well. Indeed, I would have to make an adjustment somewhere, see if I could find it…

1 Like