Plasma 5.26 beta

Can’t say I’m very excited about the new features tbh.

“The final version of Plasma 5.26 will become available for the general public on the 6th of October.”

4 Likes

me2 …

When I look at these “improvements”, it reminds me somehow of Firefox: always new bells and whistles, but old bugs are dragged along for years …

Btw: It can be changed with a few clicks, but why is this background image, which has been taken out of mothballs for the umpteenth time, set as default again? It looks somehow as if toddlers have been playing around with finger paints. In former times the KDE wallpapers were a real announcement …

3 Likes

:rofl:
I quite like it, but there’s no way I would use it as my desktop wallpaper.

1 Like

Yes, rather as a mural in the children’s room.

1 Like

They skipped some stuff on the release announcement ie. The problem which caused Xwayland apps to be blurry when scaled has been solved.

2 Likes

I will guess that the background image will change, as it changes every (every few?) Plasma update, also you are not the only one who dislikes it.

1 Like

Yes, there’s some welcome fixes in the full changelog.

I’m actually quite intrigued with the Plasma Bigscreen features, and the background has grown on me as a login and lock screen. To each their own :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks @r0ckhopper for highlighting this.

Hmm wallpaper, let’s face it, everyone will change it to one-off their liking, I will note that your link display’s the old wallpaper, if you look at the page it has the newer spaceship-themed wallpaper. Still Ile be changing it on launch review day.

Is plasma ready for Wayland, from what I know about it, which is little Wayland anything is not ready? What are the ups and downs of Wayland?

Seems a few in the thread gripe about this new release, I’ve used it ‘plasma’ my whole Linux life. Gnome I don’t like I’m not going to change now.

Data

2 Likes

Hi

I’m actually quite intrigued with the Plasma Bigscreen features, and the background has grown on me as a login and lock screen. To each their own :person_shrugging:

It’s just a gimic, ‘BigScreen’, I type this looking at a big screen, I have remotes for it to, media ones. I see no benefit of it apart from if you wanted to consume media on said display.

I have to agree with your closing sentence.

Data

Looking forward to more KDE updates as usual. :wink:

3 Likes

I have love/hate relationship with Plasma but it is still most sane DE out there :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’m still waiting for Xfce to make some kind of progress, but they seem to be in a deep sleep.

2 Likes

I have been planning to move some simple WM but I just can’t decide the right one. I was on DE hopping for years and I don’t want to get that same rabbit hole again :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I feel the same way. I’ve been switching between Xfce and KDE for the last few years. Could not really decide. For a little over a year now, I only use KDE, but I always see how well Xfce comes across when booting the EOS Live ISO. However, there are just too many things keeping me from seriously considering it again. One main reason is the stagnant development. There was once talk that a new version should be released every year. Wayland is still light years away there …

With Plasma I see rather with regret that the trend goes too much in the direction of bells and whistles.

2 Likes

Hi all
This is in beta is there a package on the web pacman?
I would not mind giving it a whirl in a VM, plasma beta,
Would off thought be a testing repo some place for it!

EDIT: kde-unstable

This repository contains the latest beta or Release Candidate of KDE Plasma and Applications.

To enable it, add the following lines to /etc/pacman.conf:

[kde-unstable] Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

The kde-unstable entry should be first in the list of repositories (i.e., above the testing entry).

Make sure you make bug reports if you find any problems.

Data

2 Likes

That is precisely what I want to do on my 55" TV, and while Kodi media player has scaled the interface to be comfortable for the living room, it’s nice to see it coming from the KDE camp because I get tired of Gnome extensions breaking every version change and waiting for them to be updated (if at all in some cases).

1 Like

so if i add kde-unstable to pacman and install the beta, then i guess i remove kde-unstable from pacman again when the final version is out? or should i remove it right away and i will stay on beta until the final is out,or does that mean my system will be downgraded to 5.25?

I use Chaotic AUR instead of kde-unstable, a sudo pacman -S kde-git-meta pulls in whatever next version of Plasma.

Lots of bug fixes to come in Plasma 5.26 :bug: