Plasma 5.21 Beta Preview on EOS

Right. But I wonder if it is necessary in this case. As the OP also mentions:

Disabling testing repositories

If you enabled testing repositories, but later on decided to disable them, you should:

1. Remove (comment out) them from /etc/pacman.conf
  2. Perform a pacman -Syuu to “rollback” your updates from these repositories.

The second item is optional, but keep it in mind if you notice any problems.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_repositories#kde-unstable

I agree it’s likely unnecessary to use -Syyuu.

1 Like

After changing repos in /etc/pacman.conf it is best practice to re-sync all package databases asap to ensure system consistency.

Once your system is in a consistent state you can upgrade, downgrade, install, remove … do whatever the hell you want. Just do it in a properely synced, consistent system.

It is safer to force this than to rely on pacman to detect it.

I personally would recommend doing a -Syy separately, directly after making pacman.conf changes. Then do whatever you want, safely.

I disagree with the Arch Wiki on this one. Re-sync is mandatory, it is safer to force it manually than rely on pacman to detect and do it for you.

1 Like

It is safe to do -Syy if you follow it immediately with -Su. But if you install other software, before you update, it is quite likely that you will not have a “properly synced, consistent system” but a partial update mess.

So, you may as well just use -Syyu.

That assumes you are upgrading / downgrading / installing / removing directly after making repo pacman.conf changes.

This is not always the case. Some people may forget or get sidetracked.

You may not update until the next day, or day after. You may install install AUR packages that are built against newer packages, which would require a rebuild after downgrading … etc. It has the potential to cause a mess.

Change repos => Full Re-Sync.

The important point to get into people’s heads is that changing repos requires a full re-sync. Whether you comine that with another pacman command is moot.

Yes, but if you forget that your local package db is synced and install packages from the repos, that’s not good. Syncing the db is not a problem, installing newest packages on an outdated system is.

That’s why it is recommended always to update after syncing and why the Arch Wiki always says "don’t do -Sy without -Su"… It’s a good rule to follow.

1 Like

In this case, all that has changed is some repos were removed so there is no need to use -Syy. The repos/mirrors weren’t changed.

3 Likes

Out of habit i did use -Syy first before i rolled back. So that would cause an issue if a repo changed because it may be the repo that the package originally installed from? Just trying to understand what i don’t.

The only difference between -Sy and -Syy is that the former updates the databases if they need it and the latter forcibly downloads and refreshes all the databases. The risks with using -Syy are the same as using -Sy. Basically, don’t use -Sy without also using -Su at the same time or immediately afterwards unless you know what you are doing.

1 Like

Okay that’s the way i understood it. But when you say don’t use -Sy without using -Su. What difference does it make if you do Always do -Syu after?

I am not sure I understand the question. Perhaps some examples to illustrate.

This is good:

pacman -Sy
pacman -Su

The same thing but shorter:

pacman -Syu

Also OK, although somewhat pointless:

pacman -Syy
pacman -Syu

A simpler way to achieve the goal of the option immediately preceding this one:

pacman -Syyu

Avoid this unless you know what you are doing:

pacman -Sy

This leads to a partial update:

pacman -Sy
pacman -S <packagename>
2 Likes

Okay so I always do -Syy and then -Syu as i thought that sometimes it’s better to force sync the repo then update.

If you want that, pacman -Syyu is the same but less typing and only one command.

1 Like

Also, if you run

pacman -Syu

but then answer n when asked :: Proceed with the installation? [Y/n], that’s the same as running

pacman -Sy

Be careful of that! If you do it, remember to first update (with pacman -Su) before installing anything, because your local package database is already synced, and if you install packages, they will be a newer version on an outdated system, which can break dependencies.

1 Like

You guys are on 5.20.90? Wait, why am I on 5.20.5?

I think that was on testing. I rolled back and i’m on 5.20.5

5.20.90 is really the beta testing version of the yet to be released 5.21.

5.20.50 is the current production version.

5.21 is due for stable release on Feb 16th, this week. Expect it to be 17th/18th before we see it appear in the Arch repositories.

You will enjoy the new features this update has to offer, believe me!!

I had tried it earlier from testing. I actually like the menu the way it currently is and i wish they had of left that option also. That’s my only complaint. Otherwise i am very happy with Kde Plasma and how it works.

But you can still get access to the old menu, yes? (I’m assuming it’s in store.kde.org or somewhere…)