Pipewire stable enough?

I haven’t figured out how Wireplumber handles the stuff that was done by pipewire-media-sessions through the conf files.

Like the autoswitching of the profile, with Wireplumber those configs dont exist. I guess it tries to handle it automatically anyways.

Haven’t really had time to test the autoswitching (with or without Wireplumber) with apps like Teams or Zoom yet.

documentation is still not really complete :wink:

1 Like

Yes Pipewire is still kind of under heavy development. Good example that I noticed yesterday as i was in a work call and tried to use my bt headset and its integrated microphone.

Everyone complained that i sound like garbled robot so had to switch to another machine. Started to look into it and found out that newest pipewire 0.3.41 has a major bug in it which makes the bluetooth recording sound like a robot in some specific cases.

Bluetooth Headset Voice (HSP/HFP, codec mSBC) very noisy since 0.3.41 (#1905) · Issues · PipeWire / pipewire · GitLab

EDIT: Fixed in Pipewire 0.3.42 that was released 16th of December

2 Likes

I can very happily report my Bose Bluetooth speaker sounds 100x better on pipewire than it used to on pulse audio.

5 Likes

Luck of the draw atm. I haven’t had any problems using pipewire for a few months now. I’ve even stopped testing Teams 15 mins before meetings.

2 Likes

report BUGS :rocket:

3 Likes

I’ve been using pipewire if I’m not mistaken since I used EndeavorOS. All with no problems at all. Unless I use Easyeffects or james DSP. It looks good. But the sound becomes like shuttering, sometimes a few seconds late. Even Easyeffect eats up CPU resources. Finally I decided to use pure Pipewire with no audio processing at all until now.

1 Like

5 months later

closing