Pipewire stable enough?

There was something in the latetest releases about it:

Bluetooth can now automatically switch between headset
and audio profile.
and Added a module that can switch the bluetooth profile to headset
profile when a stream wants to record from it.

But I haven’t looked into or tested it myself.

My personal problem at the moment: Whenever a audio device is connected it starts muted. But I have the suspicion it’s a plasma-desktop related issue.

1 Like

This sounds like exactly the thing. Will have to test this once im back home.

I also noticed that it doesn’t remember the states so if i have mited audio when no headphones are connected then ill have to unmite when connecting headphones

On my end it seems to be working fine (normal use) with this

$ pacman -Qqs pipewire
gst-plugin-pipewire
pipewire
pipewire-jack
pipewire-media-session
pipewire-pulse

this will replace pulseaudio and pulseaudio-bluetooth:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PipeWire#PulseAudio_clients
and after reboot you should use pipewire per default.
In some cases one or more of this extra pipewire packages can be needed:
pipewire-alsa, pipewire-pulse, and pipewire-jack

sounds interesting i will check this too here :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve been giving it another go recently. I tried it a few months back, but was having lots of issues with being able to switch profiles for my Bluetooth headset. It seems more reliable this time around.

1 Like

For future people coming here: it was a plasma issue.

I was so bothered today that I started digging. In ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc there was a globalMute property for the volume-mixer that isn’t exposed in the UI and never got cleared:

[Containments][331][Applets][332]
immutability=1
plugin=org.kde.plasma.volume

[Containments][331][Applets][332][Configuration][General]
globalMute=true
globalMuteDevices=alsa_output.usb-041e_USB...

Deleting these properties resolved the issue. And luckily it also seems to be fixed upstream recently.

2 Likes

I have tested pipewire and honestly, it’s pretty stable. My headphone work, speakers work, bluetooth headphones work. I do have trouble setting up EasyEffects and making the presets stick even after a reboot but that’s not pipewire’s fault…I think. But I do recommend sticking to pulseaudio since hardware may vary. Maybe mine is stable, but maybe on your hardware will be unstable

Yes

it will not switch automatic, looks like this needs to be somehow enabled…

mkdir -p ~/.config/pipewire/media-session.d

cp /usr/share/pipewire/media-session.d/bluez-monitor.conf ~/.config/pipewire/media-session.d/bluez-monitor.conf

nano ~/.config/pipewire/media-session.d/bluez-monitor.conf

and uncomment the line bluez5.autoswitch-profile = true and set it to true …

2021-09-08_17-53

save the file … restart system or services:

systemctl --user restart pipewire pipewire-pulse

Working exactly a sit says… if you start recording it enables Headset profile and seamless back of you are stopping recording…

4 Likes

The only issue I have is with Firefox that can’t stay at 100% volume and always drops down. But I’m not sure who to “blame” for that.

thats strange, sounds like something else is lower the volume. Sometimes VOIP clients may do that or gsconnect on gnome.

I think I read there was some audio bug in Firefox 92.0…

Ive been using pipewire for like 9 months without issues. I no longer have to deal with weird pulseaudio issues and i can get lower latency with lower cpu usage. Imo pipewire is a win unless you have some hardware that doesnt work for some reason.

2 Likes

I switched my main computer to Garuda and their default is still pulseaudio/pulseeffects. Lots of popping and cracking when switching audio, etc. I quickly removed it and replaced with pipewire/easyeffects, no popping/cracking and sounds much better imo.

1 Like

Yeah Pipewire handles buffers much better than pulse so youre less likely to have crackling audio. You can avoid the suspending of devices which can cause a short pop on being woken up fairly easily in pipewire also.

1 Like

It screws with it on Windows too:
If I have started firefox and THEN a game, I have to raise the volume in the game. If I start the game first, the volume is where I want it to be. So firefox adjust the main volume control, not only the volume within FF.

1 Like

No, it’s specific to Firefox in my case. I don’t have this issue with Brave for example.

I had it before 92.

Something like that. It’s a same and a relatively old issue from what I read.

1 Like

I have just installed Pipewire instead of Pulseaudio. So far so good (even with Firefox).

4 Likes

If u decide to replace media-sessions with wireplumber this doesn’t seem to be an option anymore :frowning:

what exactly ? it does not let you replace the both packages? (package manager issue) or it do not work after replacing it…?