Pipewire stable enough?

Hi, Pipewire came by default on Fedora 34

Is instaling Pipewire is safe on endeavour os?

Is it stable enough?

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using it for about 6 months (before Fedora 34). The only issues I have found are:

1. Make sure to double check that the pulseaudio volume controller gets reinstalled (Pipewire uses it but itā€™s automatically removed when pulseaudio is replaced by pipewire)
  2. Some desktops (at least not XFCE) cannot change default sound device (so if you plug in a pair of USB headphones you have to manually switch to them at boot). It DOES seem to work on Cinnamon and Gnome, so it might be Xfce specific.
2 Likes

Depends on what you mean by thatā€¦ Iā€™ve not encountered any major issues with it, but I had to install a bunch of packages for everything to work:

~šŸø pacman -Qqs pipewire
easyeffects
gst-plugin-pipewire
lib32-pipewire
lib32-pipewire-jack
libpipewire02
pipewire
pipewire-alsa
pipewire-jack
pipewire-media-session
pipewire-pulse
wireplumber
4 Likes

I only install that one package. It replaces pulse.

1 Like

Yes, but many things wonā€™t work with only that. For example, speaker-test

1 Like

Bloat :yum:

4 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s audio on Linux. If you want everything to work, you have to bloat up your system. :frowning:

3 Likes

You are running extra things like jack?

[ricklinux@eos-plasma ~]$ pacman -Qqs pipewire
gst-plugin-pipewire
pipewire
pipewire-media-session
[ricklinux@eos-plasma ~]$

Edit: Looks like i got bloat too then.

Yes.

Works for me. :man_shrugging:

Plz tell me which packages do i need to install
For Pipewire to work properly

Thanks

Read: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PipeWire

2 Likes
pacman -Qqs pipewire
easyeffects
gst-plugin-pipewire
lib32-pipewire
lib32-pipewire-jack
libpipewire02
pipewire
pipewire-alsa
pipewire-jack
pipewire-media-session
pipewire-pulse
wireplumber

Do i need to install all of this?

Because it is under active development it is definitely less stable than pulse audio. That being said, it is stable enough for normal use.

You probably just need to install pipewire-pulse

2 Likes

No, you donā€™t. Only install what you need for everything you use to work.

Iā€™m using pipewire and have been for months. Stable as. No issues for me.

2 Likes

The reason I switched to pipewire early was because on this specific machine pulse has a bug so that all media plays too fast unless you edit pulse.conf. I tried pipewire and the bug disappeared, so I always install it now.

i try pipewire from time to time already over the last year, and it was having issues, but currently it is just working fineā€¦ also BT handling is just better, like auto connecting my BT headphones working and it connects in hifi mode directly all of the timesā€¦

Pipewire has worked really great.

Only thing, and not sure this is intended, but if i have headphones (wireless) it doesnt show microphone unless i change them to the headset mode from the audio widget in Plasma

i think an issue related to BT itself on linuxā€¦ i am not sure if this would work on windows?
To use mic in BT Headset it must be in Headset Mode, and there it does not have hifi sound what means crappy cracklin lofi sound ā€¦

1 Like

Yeah i think its just a way ots implemented. In windows for example if i join a team meeting the app automatically switches to the headset/handsfree mode).

Not a big deal though. Maybe will get better in the future