Pinebook Pro image with External Monitor Support

Wow, my experience with Manjaro was much better.

I had to try it for some time since it was the only thing booting and it worked well for me.

Also if you are familiar with EOS x64 then arm experience will feel familiar since we try to stick close.

If your issue is solved, mark the post that solved your issue as the solution

Manjaro ARM kernel that solid… ( prob most stable on PBP ) what they do +MOD on DE’s + Wm

That a total different story. that clean way i can say + no get trouble with power that be …

1 Like

the PR looks good @Pudge, should we merge?

1 Like

@UltraBlack, I think I was running Manjaro at the time and it was in their repo. I believe it’s this one: https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/packages/core/linux-pinebookpro

2 Likes

I agree, merge it if it looks good. Will need some testing on this.

Does the problem that WoC had with amdgpu and this problem involve the same kernel?

Pudge

@UltraBlack
or You could build this " https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/packages/core/linux-lts/-/tree/master/ "

'0015-usb-typec-altmodes-displayport-Add-hacky-generic-altmode.patch' #Not upstreamable
    '0016-arm64-dts-rockchip-add-typec-extcon-hack.patch' #Not upstreamable

i fast scan it … look have what Op want ( never try it , so build/MOD/ use at own risk .

2 Likes

No, we don’t ship an Arm LTS kernel

1 Like

I obviously need to read that Topic in it’s entirety.

I the mean time, I agree with the changes proposed.
Pudge

Did you look at the PR?? Merge it if it looks good. I already approved the changes.

It is merged.

Pudge

Hey there,

how do you use an external screen together with the pinebook pro? My only instances of this working happened with the linux-pinebookpro kernel on manjaro which has since been taken from their repos for being old and broken.

Is there another way to get this working? Are there any other kernels?`

Thanks!

If you know the special sauce in that kernel which enabled external screen let me know, I can experiment adding it.
That can include patches, configs etc.

1 Like

Oop I intentionally created a new post for this. This post was mainly for the Installation, which is now completed. I just ended up asking some stuff I wasn’t unsure about to not clutter the forum with posts

The post title also doesn’t say “External screen on the Pinebook Pro” so if somebody else ended up knowing how to get this to work they probably wouldn’t post it here

Ahh @dalto might’ve thought its the same issue.

Also I think your main goal from the beginning in this thread was external monitor support too, we can just edit the title of this thread, and you can unmark the solution to keep it going until we find a solution.
Can I do this for you?

2 Likes

Sure, go ahead :wink:

Done.

Also let me know how your research into the special sauce in linux-pinebookpro kernel is going

Well my research has stopped at this point. I was told linux-lts works, but I don’t know how compatible that is with the PBP, and the linux-pinebookpro kernel must be very broken and thus removed for a reason. I don’t know where to go from here - I’m not experienced with kernel specifics so I don’t quite know what to look for. The aforementioned kernel was the only one that I had personal experience and recommendations for

Maybe the linux-pinebookpro kernel was at fault for all my manjaro self-destructs

It might be the case. Manjaro currently recommend using just their linux kernel for arm (which we are also using with some slight modifications) for pinebook pro. Unfortunately they’ve decided to shop shipping pinebookpro images at all sometime in August which makes it harder to install it on a new storage device without towboot/uboot already there on the spi chip or in the eMMc.

I don’t know why they decided to do that even though they are the official OS

They did not stop shipping PBP images - You now flash their GENERIC image. Stupid change, but that’s what I was told

yes, thats true. But how do you handle the bootloader now, you have to do it manually.

No need to do that for us :wink: