Pinebook Pro image with External Monitor Support

I’ve done an install last week to an uSD card and it worked. I went with “traditional” ext4. Did you get to the point of choosing the filesystem type? I wonder what seems to be the matter with yours.

I never tried the UART, I should buy the cable, but it’s still not available in their recently opened Europe virtual store.

EOS uses the kernel by Manjaro and install Shjim linked to does too, it’s explained why here: https://github.com/SvenKiljan/archlinuxarm-pbp/blob/main/README.md#about-arch-linux-arm-on-the-pinebook-pro

Last time I used the pbp with an external display was indeed with the lts kernel… a long time ago. I just got used to using it in a different way (Window Manager all the way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you send me instructions on how to do that, I’m happy to implement it.

If you somehow get our installer working, btrfs works fine here. My pinebook pro is running btrfs on Cinnamon

1 Like

It appears that all you have to do is update u-boot to the latest version. Apparently old versions don’t have it enabled by default, that’s what it sais in the wiki at least

(This actually makes a lot of sense as you appear to be using the rootfs from that one guy on github, which has not been updated in ~2 years iirc)

Ahh, we are using towboot not uboot.

1 Like

Oh tow-boot is not just launching u-boot? I’m gonna hit them up

Edit: https://github.com/Tow-Boot/Tow-Boot/issues/212

Here are pinebookpro PKGBUILDS for reference. Most of them are slightly modified versions of either Manjaro Arm or archlinuxarm-pbp project.

1 Like

Also I doubt I can get that working on my own. I don’t even know how it works. Maybe somebody that actually knows what they are knowing could try it again. I only know that mine does not work

It was pretty late yesterday, and it the guide I followed and thought to be the EOS installer was just vanilla arch :sweat:

Where do I go from here?

We’ve no idea whats going on if there are no logs.

Maybe try flashing and booting again and now give us more details on the boot process (maybe with pictures/screenshots). And if possible logs from the storage card (accessed through another computer).

Logs and/or more info is important for debugging.

I know that you don’t know what’s going on when there are no logs, but the test-image installer just produces an installation that boots, but does not go further from there. I can’t provide logs from nothing happening. All I know is that the caps and numlock butttons work, with nothing on screen. No cursor blinking no nothing. Stone dead after tow-boot loaded the boot image.

Do you have any other storage device like eMMc inside the pinebook??

Make sure you are booting from the storage device you flashed the installer into and using the version of towboot.
What brand of SD card are you using??
For me only Sandisk works. If I’m using other brands, I have to take out the SD card and pop it back in after the initramfs loads.
Pinebook has a big issue with SD card compatibility. I talked with pine64 moderators regarding this

Best way to install is on the eMMc card that exists in the pinebook.

I have an eMMc adapter that I used to flash our installer on that. Then put it back it and closed the pinebook and booted from it. It is running well since August

I had the most issues with m my sandisk cards. My 16 gig intenso card works pretty well though.

I have an emmc in there, but recently cleared it due to issues booting.

What I’m gonna try now is, since I have something booting, to install directly to the nvme

just idea … you can boot off usb drive . then install system to sd card or eMMc…

Also you try (staged boot using eMMC module on NvMe) or

(Direct boot on NvMe … which buggy as hell ) no worth trouble imo.

your system your rule … at end of day

EDit … i 100% agree with Sradjoker Scandisk work best…

in my xp Scandisk extreme pro give best result ( never have one fail in 2+ year ) also i no use less 64 Gb, Everything i throw at my 2020 PBP boot… Only problem i had is fry 128Gb eMMc :rofl: that my fault prob. 5555555 :wink: :innocent:

What did you do? :rofl:

I just tried running the installer on my PBP, and it only accepts inputs like emmc*, but not nvme* which is my drive. It just returns to the drive selection screen. I added that into the script which now executes.

The script also does not install wget and parted, even though it depends on them.

Edit: The partition naming scheme also seems to differ from the emmc. It uses something1 and something2, but the nvme uses somethingp1 and somethingp2 - Using the existing if statement made it work

Edit 2: Opening a pull request soon

Oh hey it works! No clue what it doesn’t like about booting EnOS from the SD but it booted from the nvme.

I also created a pull request

1 Like

I’ll take a loot

Even pine64 moderators don’t know how to deal with it. It seems that the issue is the noise in the wires between the rockchip SOC and the SD card slot.
There is a patch in the kernel we ship to deal with it but it doesn’t work as inteded

Oh wee it’s looking really good and I already have the feeling that it’s much more stable than manjaro.

@lxnauta: How did you install the lts kernel? It’s not in the repos, at least not as linux-lts

I’m not sure about that since we’re using similar packages.
But I do update the kernel at a slower place and use a different bootloader (towboot vs uboot) and do some things slightly differently (based on my limited experience).

I’m always open to suggestions for improving the performance .

1 Like

Manjaro crashed and died five minutes after I finished setting up my mail client, firefox and my second screen