Pi400 initial boot no signal from screen

I see in this image your pi 400 shows Rev 1.0 Ours is Rev 1.1. Have you updated the firmware? Once you do that and update the boot loader then set it to boot from usb. On mine i had to add a kernel parameter to the installed system that uses the PID and VID of the device. Then it boots on ssd very well. You have to add this to any ssd you have an install done to in order for it to boot on an external usb drive.

Add the following line at the beginning of the cmdline.txt file:

usb-storage.quirks=[VID]:[PID]:u

Replace the [VID] and [PID] parts with the USB Vendor and Product ID of your SATA to USB 3.0 adapter.

Use this command to find the VID and PID of the device.

lsusb

lsusb_output-1024x157

VID is the first number and PID is the last one

Can you make a [TIP] or [FAQ] post for this issue USB vid pid? It might be helpful to refer other users to the post.

I would but Iā€™m very confused with the forum and why i canā€™t find certain pages such as under Installation on Arm which there is one. But itā€™s not listed and yet i ran across the post that @Pudge has made.

Take your time. You probably know about the forum better than me :wink:

I found it finally ā€¦and i try to make a post under installation.

Edit: You check if is okay?

1 Like

I have used USB SSD enclosures and even a USB NVME enclosure with great success. This includes RPi 4b and RPi 400.

But, I have a powered USB hub that I connect the USB Keyboard, and USB Mouse to. This eliminates the power drain on the RPi 4 power supply for these devices leaving more power for the RPi and the USB enclosure.

Plus, I do not know exactly how these powered USB hubs work.
Is there a current blocking device which does not allow the USB hub to add additional current to the RPiā€™s current? I donā€™t know.

I do know if the USB hubā€™s power supply is not plugged in (or not powered from the power strip, donā€™t ask how I know this) the RPiā€™s power supply runs the keyboard and mouse in the USB hub.

Anyway, the point I am making is be sure the RPi 4ā€™s power supply has enough power to run a USB SSD enclosure, plus keyboard, plus mouse and of course the RPi 4 itself.

Pudge

EDIT:
Here are some of the devices I have tested. The one on the far right is the USB NVME enclosure.

The problem with a borderline power supply is it runs fine on low CPU and/or GPU loads. Then gets flakey when a CPU / RAM/ GPU intensive app runs. So it can be intermittant.

Here is a good topic on this

1 Like

thanks for the posts.
I do have an original PI 4 Powersupply and only run a MSATA 512GB Trenscend via USB 3. it seems that the power here is not an issue, but I could not test it under heavy load yet.
I will follow the steps in adding the quirk in the cmdline.txt. hopefully I can get to this tonight.
Again thanks for all the help and information

What type of usb powered hub are you using? Got any pictures?

https://github.com/endeavouros-arm/images#method-two

2 Likes

Just plug your drive into an installed system or use the live iso to boot on and then run lsusb to get the VID and PID of the drive. You can add this to the cmdline.txt file on the drive. Then plug it into the pi and see if it boots properly.

Edit: Not sure if this is what you were asking?

I think @pebcak answered it. OP wanted a method to install without using the live ISO.

2 Likes

And yes I do use the Smart Charging Port.

Pudge

2 Likes

Okayā€¦i was looking at these before thinking they would be good.

You marked your own post as the solution? The information was provided for you. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

well I summarized the steps for the Pi400 booting and installing from MSATA (which should actually be a seperate post).
Let me unsolution it.