PC has gone from blazing fast and responsive to slow and unresponsive.

Yesterday I tried removing vscode and installing it again. That didn’t help.
However, when I installed it again it already had my extensions etc, so it couldn’t have been a proper uninstall. How can I remove it properly? I have signed in to vscode so I imagine it’s quite easy to setup the way I like it again even if I remove it completely.

This is the command I used to remove it:
yay -R visual-studio-code-bin

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

In your ~/.config there probably is a folder that includes all its configs.
So rename or remove that folder.

Attempted to remove the config folder and reinstall vscode. Sadly no difference in performance

Use a process visuallzer like htop to get an idea of processes and cpu time

Do you always have Firefox opened while testing? If yes, maybe starting Firefox without extension might be a way to go:

firefox --safe-mode

This is for NVIDIA. If it is not there then we have to add it manually.

Yes, that’s why it’s best have one.

There’s no swap file nor a swap partition. It’s best to have one. Because it seems like your browser + VSCode is taking all your RAM. And if you don’t see a difference you can always remove the swap file.

And only follow the parts which are relevant to you.

For my mini PC, teams is a killer. Using an electron app from Flathub, an AUR app, a PWA, or in any browser. Just having it open almost doubles ram usage and causes some minor lagging. In meetings, fans go to ultra and lagginess increases quite a lot, to the point of 15-20 seconds to open an app or use outlook in the browser.

I don’t see an issue with looking at the hardware setup. I see way too many tabs and instances of Firefox open which is going to use up lots of resources. I would never do this. I would say it’s a combination of the software vscode and using too many tabs and instances or windows of firefox open.

Edit: I also don’t like the look of this. I don’t have this on any of my lenovo laptops.

mars 08 10:29:40 Olav-ThinkPad kernel: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates
mars 08 10:29:40 Olav-ThinkPad kernel: Loaded X.509 cert 'Build time autogenerated kernel key: 23ba495f3f670f1e67ca1362c7532e8ecaa202e9'
mars 08 10:29:40 Olav-ThinkPad kernel: zswap: loaded using pool lz4/z3fold
mars 08 10:29:40 Olav-ThinkPad kernel: Key type .fscrypt registered
mars 08 10:29:40 Olav-ThinkPad kernel: Key type fscrypt-provisioning registered
mars 08 10:29:40 Olav-ThinkPad kernel: integrity: Loading X.509 certificate: UEFI:db
mars 08 10:29:40 Olav-ThinkPad kernel: integrity: Loaded X.509 cert 'Lenovo Ltd.: ThinkPad Product CA 2012: 838b1f54c1550463f45f98700640f11069265949'
mars 08 10:29:40 Olav-ThinkPad kernel: integrity: Loading X.509 certificate: UEFI:db
mars 08 10:29:40 Olav-ThinkPad kernel: integrity: Loaded X.509 cert 'Lenovo UEFI CA 2014: 4b91a68732eaefdd2c8ffffc6b027ec3449e9c8f'
mars 08 10:29:40 Olav-ThinkPad kernel: integrity: Loaded X.509 cert 'Microsoft Corporation UEFI CA 2011: 13adbf4309bd82709c8cd54f316ed522988a1bd4'
mars 08 10:29:40 Olav-ThinkPad kernel: integrity: Loaded X.509 cert 'Microsoft Windows Production PCA 2011: a92902398e16c49778cd90f99e4f9ae17c55af53'

This looks like that firmware file i was talking about yesterday in regards to UEFI that has Microsoft written all over it.
What other hardware is hooked up to this laptop? Dock? and other hardware?

1 Like

And having a swap file won’t hurt in his case.

Hardware is dock with two monitors, keyboard, mouse and headset.

And while I agree it might look bad in terms of a lot of tabs hogging the resources, I just don’t understand how it could handle way more than this for a year up until it’s suddenly can’t anymore?

I’ll take a look at the swapfile and see if I can make sense of it :slight_smile:

htop have been used quite a bit lately :stuck_out_tongue:
Here I was in a teams call for instance:

Firefox is pretty much always up. I have checked how it runs when closing firefox when things are bad, but it doesn’t seem to help much

Well I’m just saying that this is something i don’t typically do or would recommend opening that many tabs just because i know that it will start to use too many resources. Also the longer they are open typically you’ll see it increase too. Not sure what your issue is. The only thing you can do is start testing the hardware to make sure there’s no problem with the drives or ram etc. Then go from there.

There is a UEFI Bios update version 1.52 if i have the correct model. Not sure if this is the right one.

Yeah I’ve cut down considerably with the amount of tabs after I started struggling with the issue. Down to like 1/4 of what I used to.
I’ll take a look at the BIOS update you mentioned :slight_smile:

There’s another weird issue I’m having, just throwing it out here in case it might be relevant, even though I doubt it.
I’m using the command setxkbmap -option caps:escape to set escape to caps lock. This will sometimes stop working, and I have to run the command again.

You CPU is under a lot of pressure - 8 cores maxed out - and your ram is almost maxed out - this will inevitable cause an unresponsive system - perhaps you need to reinvent your workflow?

I have suffered from the misunderstanding myself - a fast cpu and 16G ram and you can do almost anything.

But because of my habits and my workflow - my system slowed down - I run a Win10 vm for development using Visual Studio Community (not vscode - the real thing) - and that is demanding.

You most definately need a swap partition or file or {zram|zwap} - check the mother wiki - I have a preference for https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Zswap

Also check the wiki on https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Improving_performance

My Usage

I recently switched my workstation from ThinkStation P330 Gen2 to P620 (Show your latest purchase! (With pictures) - #1827 by Root)

2 Likes

Holly… I just noticed all your cores are maxed out no wonder you can’t do anything. The below screenshot is my system with msteams and brave running. I just filtered it to show teams threads only.

holy :crab: this is some load on the cores… thats not normal in any way… looks like hardly fighting to render graphics over the CPU instead of GPU…
2023-03-10_17-07

s4ndm4n has mentioned swap file as well, I haven’t had time to look into it yet, but will get back to it on Monday hopefully :slight_smile:

Hehe, yeah I get why I’m lagging, more like I don’t know how I manage to use all the available CPU power. Looks like I simply need to adjust the amount of tabs etc.