Our first release of 2021 has arrived

Originally published at: https://endeavouros.com/news/our-first-release-of-2021-has-arrived/

Our last ISO was from September and we do realize that this new release is a bit overdue, to say it lightly, but to kick it off on a positive note, we rather say it is fashionably late. That doesn’t mean we haven’t been wasting time during our hiatus on development. No, on the contrary, we are certain this release will tickle a number of non-EndeavourOS users to give it a try.

Community collaboration

This release couldn’t be made possible without the feedback and help from our stellar community. Several community members have helped us not only to report bugs but worked with us to find the solution to solve it. We are so grateful for your help and this proves that with shared knowledge we can push EndeavourOS further. Our doors are wide open for you, just walk in if you feel the need to help us on an issue or new feature without any obligations.

There are also two window manager projects being developed by the community and these will be included on one of the upcoming releases. We are working on a system to add these community projects a bit more user-friendly to make collaborations like these more attractive to a larger group of people.

Last but not least, we also gained a new mirror in India thanks to our community member Overload9 for granting us space on his server to make this possible.

February release

![](upload://h7RtK3KgmyFv1Uoq4Ha9VPyz9zr.jpeg)

It’s needless to say that compared to the September release, this ISO is a major leap forward on the package versions and to name the most notable ones:

• Linux Kernel 5.10.11.arch1-1
  • Mesa 20.3.4-1
  • Nvidia 460.39-2
  • Firefox 85.0-1
  • Calamares 3.2.34-10
  • Live environment and offline install updated to Xfce 4.16

Improvements

We’ve also improved some features on the live environment and the installation process to make the installation a smoother sail.

• Reflector-auto has been removed since Reflector has this feature shipped by default
  • The Welcome app now supports Brazillian-Portuguese
  • Alacrity has been added as one of the supported terminals for our native apps
  • You can now choose a swapfile from the installer in addition to a traditional swap partition when an automatic partition scheme is chosen.
  • reflector-bash-completion has been added to make the use of Reflector easier
  • When chosen online install, mirrors will be automatically updated for a faster install and to decrease the possibility of a failed install caused by unresponsive mirrors.
  • Our newest mirror in India has been added to improve the experience for our Indian users
  • During install, the user will now be added to the sys rfkill wheel users group by default, we have removed some of the legacy groups that were causing issues with drivers and cups.
  • Reordering and adding packages installed to improve filesystem support on GTK and QT environments
  • GVFS packages are only installed when chosen GTK environments
  • QT environments have now kio-fuse, kio-gdrive and audiocd-kio installed by default.
  • DM configs solely for installed DM’S (SDDM and Lightdm), prior both were installed by default.
  • New option in Welcome –pkglist=URL to add additional packages during install using user_pkglist.txt file that also can be found under user_pkglist.txt in the file liveusers home. You can edit this one to install additional packages.
  • Several bug fixes

Here’s a small video overview on how to add extra packages for the installation process:

New features

![](upload://ev1yf1u9CsC5GsYh8iXgnFURx9h.jpeg)

We’ve also added new features like:

• A new theme and setup for i3
  • To make things easier on development and to underline our minimal philosophy, we now ship only one new universal wallpaper for all DE and WM, implemented on both x86-64 and ARM.
  • Welcome now ships with Pacdiff to check the changes on config files after an update and lets you overwrite, implement or view the line(s)
  • To add a log file on the forum in case of an issue, eos-log-tool has now also included /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
  • eos-update-notifier can now easily be configured through the Welcome app
  • UpdateInTerminal, a community requested tool to check and update the system when eos-update-notifier is turned off
  • eos-sendlog can send any text file (from standard input) to the internet for others to see. (included on eos-bash-shared)
  • eos-pkginfo is meant for looking at more information about a package – typically usage information and/or source code. (included on eos-bash-shared)

You can download the ISO over here.

Article in other languages:

45 Likes

I REALLY like the colors…

6 Likes

me too

2 Likes

Tässä ilmoitus suomeksi.
(The Finnish announcement)

French translation is done: Notre première publication pour 2021 est arrivée

2 Likes

Merci beaucoup @FredBezies

:de: hierlang:

https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/unsere-erste-veroffentlichung-fur-das-jahr-2021-ist-fertig

LET’S gobble gobble GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1 Like

Yay! Just one question, is there any difference if I juste update my system or is it recommended to install the new iso to get all the features? I was thinking in terms of the „adding users to a new group to avoid problem with cups“ mentioned somewhere in the release post.

Love the background color!

3 Likes

No, when you’re up-to date you have everything that is on the ISO. The user group thing is a rare bug, not a lot of users had that issue.

1 Like

Bonjour à tous
Je voulais savoir s’il était possible de se connecter à un réseau wifi lors de l’installation car dans la précédente mouture il fallait être en filaire. Anarchy sait le faire alors pourquoi pas Endavouros ?
En tous cas beau travail et félicitations pour le job à toute l’équipe

Cela dépend du matériel et des pilotes de votre PC.
Mais veuillez créer un nouveau fil à ce sujet.

Oui on peut se connecter en Wifi. L’icône de ‘NetworkManager’ dans la barre des tâches de Xfce permet d ele faire. mais c’était aussi le cas avec les précédentes moutures. L’image ISO inclut les firmwares wifi qui sont aussi présents sur les images iso de Arch ou Anarchy.

This looks like an amazing release, great job, everyone! Tempted to do a little refresh of my laptop since I have a couple days off coming up.

1 Like

Sounds like a good time to reinstall that tower that’s still running heavily outdated Chakra. Guess I now know what I’ll be doing this Saturday!

3 Likes

I mean, not that it matters, but I literally just downloaded the 2020 image to put on my system this morning. Figures there was an update!

2 Likes

Some media coverage of the new release:

https://9to5linux.com/endeavouros-kicks-off-2021-with-new-iso-release-powered-by-linux-5-10-lts-and-xfce-4-16

:enos_flag:

7 Likes

That looks real good, great in fact!

1 Like

The xfce version installs and works fine in Virtualbox.

2 Likes

Just tried the new iso on thinkpad t490s, works great! Used offline install. :+1: thanks for this, want to add i3wm install with xfce soon.

2 Likes