Optimus enabled laptop connected to external monitor wont wake from sleep if external monitor is set to anything over 60Hz

removed the file, thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it but I don’t think I’ll get it working, I’ll just have to save up to build a desktop I think

Maybe someone else will come along with the answer.

Maybe, but till then,

thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Simple idea: set the monitor to 60Hz?

Alternatively, check here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#System_does_not_return_from_suspend and set your acpi_osi boot variable.

I wanted the monitor on 144Hz because I use it for gaming, I could just set it to 144Hz when I plan on playing a game, but I move away from my computer a lot so its still not good.

With the setting the acpi_osi boot variable, I followed the instructions from the link, and my version is Windows 2017.2, and I will just a little confused on how to write this in the boot arguments, is this correct?

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet loglevel=3 nowatchdog vga=0 rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0 acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=2017.2"

and also I just use the command grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg after right?

Update: if what I typed above is all correct, then no it does not work :frowning:

You have to use sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg after adding the kernel parameter.

Edit: Not sure about the acpi_osi=2017.2? I might be inclined to just use acpi_osi=2017 if it doesn’t work then you could try changing it.

I updated the config with the following added: acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=2017.2
but that didn’t work, did a bit of research and someone said that you have to add “” and Windows to the string like this: acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2017.2"

But when running the sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg it returns with this error

/etc/default/grub: line 6: 2017.2: command not found

It should be sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

So take out the .2
acpi_osi=2017

Edit: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/acpi-kernel-parameters/acpi-kernel-parameters-and-how-to-choose-them/2021/03/

Edit: acpi_osi= ‘Windows 2017’

@anon37726204

It say’s on the acpi wiki page not to use acpi_osi=! unless the others don’t work.

I ended up having to format it like this acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=\"Windows 2017.2\" . as if it did not have the backslashes, it would just give me the error I mentioned above, but no matter what way i wrote the string out, it still wont wake from sleep

I wrote it out as “Windows 2017.2”, “Windows 2017”, 2017: and “2017.2”

Ill remove the acpi_osi=! now and see what happens

Could you give the following link from this command.

inxi -Faz --no-host | eos-sendlog

https://clbin.com/NW8T0

Can you install sof-firmware

sudo pacman -S sof-firmware

Edit: This is for the Intel Audio chip.

After installing that can you give the output of inxi -A

Apparently sof-firmware is installed and up to date

warning: sof-firmware-1.8-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

and here’s the output of inxi -A

Audio:     Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP106 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.13.13-arch1-1 running: yes 
           Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes 

Okay it was installed …
I ran across something you could try. It’s another kernel parameter. If it doesn’t work just remove it. You’ll have to add it to the default grub and then update grub with the command again.

snd_hda_codec_hdmi.enable_silent_stream=0

So just place it in /etc/default/grub at the end of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=? (then of course update grub)

Do I still keep the acpi parameter?

Yes and if doesn’t work you can just remove it after. Not sure if you need to reboot.
Edit: Supposedly this keeps power over the Hdmi cable so the monitor has power to wake but I’m not sure it will work or cause some other issue either. :man_shrugging: