Openbox Edition

@OdiousImp @flyingcakes

temp wallpaper idea ( just simple + keep EOS clean look )

12 Likes

Hello, I am new here, but do you think that in the next ISO of Endeavor there will be the choice of Openbox? That would be cool!

1 Like

will openbox come with polybar or tint2?

1 Like

Tint2

1 Like

Openbox CE is in the works, but I can’t give any ETA as of now.

4 Likes

you make very nice wallpapers
mega fan of your wallpapers
:partying_face:

3 Likes

@anon71489565

:pray: . One above is just MOD of fantastic EOS stock wallpaper . No credit due me

3 Likes

i mean i have see lot of your wallpaper on this forum
i am a big fan of your wallpapers you make :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I see you guys are working on openbox edition. I can help with tint2 cuz I’ve been playing around it for some time now.

3 Likes

Any updates on this topic? I’m very interested in an EnOS Openbox spin. I have a spare Desktop PC that I’m going to try out an Arch/Openbox install on, but at the moment I’m still just reading various stuff on the wikis and other sources. A basic working network config is proving to be the tough part, but hey, learning is part of the fun! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hi!

Here is the repo

Its at a usable stage. Please try it and share feedback :v:

3 Likes

Wicked! Will do. :grin:

2 Likes

Does this need to be added to the live image in some way, or ran manually from a minimal install? The last time I attempted the latter, and the result was so broken it was almost comical. I even had two networkmanagers.

I would really like to try this out because I’ve always been a fan of openbox. Usually I just install XFCE and replace XFWM with openbox and picom lol.

1 Like

From an already installed system for now!. How long ago did u try? It’s definitely in a usable state now.

1 Like

This is the bit I don’t get: If I clone from git, does it install in user space, or do I need some kind of partition? How does this work? I understand how to build it (I think!) but if I build it within an already installed system what is the result? Would this result on a different session at login, that would be cool.

1 Like

The configs are just a bunch of dotfiles that reside in your home directory.

So, you git clone the repo, and copy the configs to their right place and install the right packages. To make it easy, there is an install script that you can run. Basically, run the following four commands, and you’ll be good to go

git clone https://github.com/OdiousImp2604/openbox.git
cd openbox
chmod +x openbox-install.sh
bash openbox-install.sh

Then you have to log out and log in to openbox.

Warning : The install script will replace any existing dotfiles. So make backups!

No partition needed!

Don’t need to build it either. Just copy the dotfiles. Yes you will have a new session on login page.

No need to touch ISO :slightly_smiling_face:
I mean, you can build an ISO from our repo, but you don’t need to do that. That will be way too much extra work. Take an existing installation of EndeavourOS and run the four commands I shared above.

That interesting :rofl:

3 Likes

Is this still ongoing or is “abandoned”? Because I don’t have much time but I’m surprised of how much I’m enjoying openbox and will gladly help to make a community edition for that too

4 Likes

Ongoing. We’re working on some better ways to implement the exìsting community editions so thats why this was put on hold.

Feel free to take a look at the existing openbox configs. Completely redo it too if u want and all of us will be happy to test and advise.

Take a look at the sway and bspwm for any design cues or useful scripts and have fun.

Me and @flyingcakes will get back on this soon we promise!

4 Likes

I’ve already cloned the repo. Will install in a VM and start playing with it then. I’ll ask here if I’ve any question then. Thank you

2 Likes

if you make a config. Make it simple as possible :slight_smile: like less aur more power :slight_smile:

2 Likes