Nvidia Drivers crashing while gaming

So, i play a bit of Minecraft, and i experience a lot of system hangs lately. This might be a OpenGL problem. I have played games in wine too and those games didn’t hang my system. When my system hangs, i restart the PC. After that the games run slow, which is most likely a driver issue, because after installing drivers again games work fine. Not sure what info should i include in this post, i will provide any info needed, just say what should i provide in a reply to this post.

Hey, welcome! :slight_smile:
So it’s Linux native Minecraft?

Start with:

inxi -Fxxxz

and (after crash happened)

journalctl -p3 -xb

Yes Minecraft is native on Linux. It is the only game that crashes that i played.
Output of inxi -Fxxxz: https://del.dog/inxi.txt
Output of journalctl -p3 -xb: https://del.dog/uningamuha.txt
The “crash” appears as just lagging cursor and everything else, slowly leading to a unresponsive system.

1 Like

Weird…
Well, personally i don’t recommend native games for that reason - they’re not really stable unless sandbox or something :laughing:

What happens when you launch it in terminal, are there some error messages when crash happens?

hmmm…that

lut 19 12:33:51 netherite kernel: nvidia-gpu 0000:26:00.3: i2c timeout error e0000000

Made me wonder…

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=206653

Try LTS Kernel and see if problem still exist

1 Like

Yes that is exactly what happened to me on that bugzilla post. So i should install a kernel manager and switch to a LTS one?

Yep, try that it won’t hurt, but i’m not sure it will help :slight_smile:

1 Like

be aware that this bug is still extant as well, though your journal doesn’t quite match it. it’s been a pain for a lot of people for months and most of the reports in the thread are from arch or variant systems.

1 Like

Well, Minecraft is a Java game, it’s native everywhere.

1 Like

Thanks to @Kresimir reminded me that Minecraft requires Java 8 to run.

Starting from Minecraft 1.12, Java 8 will be required to run Minecraft. If you don't know whether you have Java 8, don't worry - our installers supply Minecraft with its own version of Java by default.

I’m not sure what it is with Microsoft nowdays that you have to run for Minecraft, but you have to run it with Java 8. If it’s a .jar file, get jre8-openjdk package, then point the Java executable to the .jar file:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk/jre/bin/java -jar /path/to/minecraft.jar

(This should be the default path for Java)

You can also change your default runtime environment to Java 8, but that will run anything Java with Java 8. :coffee:

The latest version (and a few before it) of Minecraft work fine (even better, though your mileage may vary) on Java 15.

I think I was trying to run 1.13 with Java 14 and had some really funky business until I specified the .jar file to Java 8. Just dropping a possible solution just in case. :man_shrugging:

8 or 15, the procedure should be the same though.

Anyways, after a bit of time i figured it out. It may seem stupid but i forgot to add swap to my install. All of my glitches and bugs that i had can be tracked down to the lack of swap. Anyways thanks for your time.