Not wise conduct ends like this

Hi, recently I foolish man, I wanted to remove wine along with all the dependencies. I did it so effectively that it even took the kernel and half the system. I install new system the keeping my home directory, and then wanted to use timeshift to recover everything from the snapshot. Unfortunately it didn’t work, the system was corrupted. Wanting to avoid setting up everything from scratch for the future, what user folders, should be backed up, no big programs, but basic desktop settings, etc.

What the hell of a command have you issued to do that? :rofl:

sudo pacman -Rsc wine-staging giflib lib32-giflib libpng lib32-libpng libldap lib32-libldap gnutls lib32-gnutls
mpg123 lib32-mpg123 openal lib32-openal v4l-utils lib32-v4l-utils libpulse lib32-libpulse libgpg-error
lib32-libgpg-error alsa-plugins lib32-alsa-plugins alsa-lib lib32-alsa-lib libjpeg-turbo lib32-libjpeg-turbo
sqlite lib32-sqlite libxcomposite lib32-libxcomposite libxinerama lib32-libgcrypt libgcrypt lib32-libxinerama
ncurses lib32-ncurses opencl-icd-loader lib32-opencl-icd-loader libxslt lib32-libxslt libva lib32-libva gtk3
lib32-gtk3 gst-plugins-base-libs lib32-gst-plugins-base-libs vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader
Just like that’s :laughing:

That’s what i thought - grave danger of a command, it should not be used.

REMOVE OPTIONS (APPLY TO -R)
-c, --cascade
Remove all target packages, as well as all packages that depend on one or more target packages. This operation is recursive and must be used with care, since it can remove many potentially needed packages.

What you wanted to do was that:

sudo pacman -Rns wine-staging

-s, --recursive
Remove each target specified including all of their dependencies, provided that (A) they are not required by other packages; and (B) they were not explicitly installed by the user. This operation is recursive and analogous to a backwards --sync operation, and it helps keep a clean system without orphans. If you want to omit condition (B), pass this option twice.

-n, --nosave
Instructs pacman to ignore file backup designations. Normally, when a file is removed from the system, the database is checked to see if the file should be renamed with a .pacsave extension.

And of course ALWAYS carefully check which packages it actually removes…if there’s a kernel - you must be doing something wrong :rofl:

3 Likes

I.e. I don’t know if the Kernel was removed, but I got info to press any key and the system froze.
I acted idiotically, because the listed package names once a colleague gave me so that all wine works well. And in the same way we thought to get rid of them. I was not wrong :laughing::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Well…You live - you learn, don’t make same mistake twice!

honka_animated-128px-48

2 Likes

Now i very careful read all about Pacman. I know I should have to do a long time ago, not underestimating the package manager, which I did not appreciate

Yeah…The possibilities of not wise things are endless in Linux :rofl:

honka_animated-128px-14

2 Likes

So I must to learn all the time. But that’s the beauty of Linux! I love that!

1 Like

Indeed, and as long as first thing you learn is always make a full backup of important data - it’s gonna be totally fine!

honka_animated-128px-46

Yes only I need to know exactly what locations, because he does not want to archive all programs, but only the settings that usually take the most time.

Apart from the personal data in home directory, personally, I would backup:

the dot files and dot folders under home directory
/etc

I would then restore what I need from these on a per case basis.

Edit: you could also make a package list of all the packages explicitly installed and reinstall them all at once:

:eye: 2.5-2.6 https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#List_of_installed_packages

2 Likes

Pacman is a great tool! I knew I shouldn’t underestimate it. Thank’s you Guys!

1 Like

I just want my kernel back. :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.