[not a bug] The installer crashed while trying to install online with manual partitioning

Hi everyoine,

I’m sorry to have to open my account here with a bug report but I couldn’t finish installing Endeavour to my hard drive.

I got nearly to the end and then the installer crashed with this message;

External command failed to finish

Command /usr/bin/cleaner_script.sh failed to finish in 480 seconds. There was no output from the command.

My system info is as follows (from Shark, a distro based on an old version of Ubuntu LTS);

System: Host: graham Kernel: 4.15.0-97-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: MATE 1.16.2 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine: Mobo: Gigabyte model: M68MT-S2P Bios: Award v: F1 date: 12/24/2010
CPU: Quad core AMD Athlon II X4 630 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
clock speeds: max: 2800 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 1600 MHz 3: 2100 MHz
4: 1600 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-97-generic
Network: Card: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet driver: forcedeth
IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
mac: 1c:6f:65:ba:71:b3
Drives: HDD Total Size: 319.4GB (18.0% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDP72502 size: 250.0GB
ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: DataTraveler_3.0 size: 7.9GB
ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: Cruzer_Blade size: 61.6GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 18G used: 12G (73%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 0.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 180 Uptime: 9 min Memory: 951.6/5707.4MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35

Thanks for reading this,

CP.

Hello @Colonel_Panic
I see you have an older nvidia nforce chipset so is probably onboard chip? So you’ll most likely have to stick with the open source Nouveau drivers not the nvidia drivers. What are you installing it onto the 250 GB drive? This is also an MBR system. Maybe you can get the install log next time and post it here. It is the Clamares install log.

https://endeavouros.com/docs/forum/how-to-include-systemlogs-in-your-post/

Edit: This nvidia chipset is very old so unless the nouveau driver supports it i’m not sure?

Hopefully the logs would tell us what is going on as it may be unrelated.

1 Like

Hi Rick, thanks for replying. Yes it is an online chip; the motherboard dates from about 2010.

It may be a day or two before I can get back to trying another installation but I’ll definitely do it (and post the logs). And yes, the installation was to hard drive.

Best,

CP .

BTW, will the graphics card drivers you can download from the NVidia website work in Endeavour?

I just know that that driver version is very old in Linux and i don’t think is being supported anymore so hopefully it works fine on Nouveau. Whether the older driver can be installed i can’t answer.

today GitHub has hard network errors and so it must be this we do load some scripts and files directly from GitHub on netinstall if installer can not get the files it will fail to install.

GeForce 7 series cards and older [NV6x, NV4x and lower] do not have a driver packaged for Arch Linux

Thanks for replying. Is Endeavour mainly aimed at more recent machines then?

I can get a good resolution (1680x1050) in ArchEX, which is also based on Arch, so if there is a problem with running Arch-based distros on my computer due to lack of graphics drivers in Arch itself I know it can be overcome; however, I don’t know enough to be able to do it myself.

open source nouveau driver may work fine …

GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a 0x03D6 needs 304.xx driver (NVidia) and this is not working with latest Xorg… so hard to use on archlinux…

NVidia Company are developing the Nvidia drivers… they put them to legacy branch.

Thanks.

Hi, back again. Is it possible to use a video driver from another distro in EndeavourOS, if video is up and working well in that other distro, and if so how would I go about doing it?

I was thinking of Manjaro, because it also runs on Arch, but Slackware video drivers seem to work well too…

Thanks in advance,

CP .

the only difference on the driver itself is the version and in case of non-arch-based another package format incompatible with arch.
And in the case of Nvidia drivers, they need to be built against the running kernel, so incompatible in that way too.

Thanks for replying. So, what I need to do is to find out which driver version the other distro (where the video display seems to work well) is using, and then download that version of the driver from the NVidia site and build it in Endeavour?

[EDIT: I’ve just noticed that you’ve got a revised version of 2020.9 coming out very soon, so I think I’ll wait for that one before trying anything different. In any case. I think the driver I need is the open source Nouveau one, not the main NVidia one.]

if that is still your card… i would go for nouveau (open Source) modesetting driver from kernel.

And yes it will be in the next days that we upload a new Release of the Installer.

When you use the online installer do not select Nvidia and see if it installs properly.

1 Like

Thanks (and Joe as well); I’ll wait until the new release comes out though before trying anything more.

1 Like