No Youtube sound from Firefox after recent update

The most recent update included Wireplumber, and after that the video sound from Youtube using Firefox stopped working for me (other sound sources are OK). Suspect it’s Wireplumber as I know it’s caused innumerable problems with Manjaro as well. The only way I’ve found to fix it so far is to replace with pipewire-media-session.

Just a heads-up for others having problems.

1 Like

Yeah that was major temporary f**kup…

https://archlinux.org/news/undone-replacement-of-pipewire-media-session-with-wireplumber/

1 Like

Generally happens when people switch from pipewire-media-session to wireplumber and don’t restart the audio subsystem (or just reboot).

For people who didn’t use PipeWire.

3 Likes

Aargh, another update today, insisting that I replace pipewire-media-session with wireplumber for it to proceed. So I answer ‘y’ and reboot and - now once again - Youtube videos on Firefox have no sound :roll_eyes: :grimacing:

Any suggestions, short of reinstalling pipewire-media-session yet again.

Do you have pipewire-pulse installed?

I have zero issues with this selection of PipeWire packages:

$ pacman -Qs pipewire
local/easyeffects 6.2.6-2
    Audio Effects for Pipewire applications
local/gst-plugin-pipewire 1:0.3.53-3
    Multimedia graph framework - pipewire plugin
local/helvum 0.3.4-1
    GTK patchbay for PipeWire
local/lib32-pipewire 1:0.3.53-3
    Low-latency audio/video router and processor - 32-bit client library
local/lib32-pipewire-jack 1:0.3.53-3
    Low-latency audio/video router and processor - 32-bit client library - JACK support
local/pipewire 1:0.3.53-3
    Low-latency audio/video router and processor
local/pipewire-alsa 1:0.3.53-3
    Low-latency audio/video router and processor - ALSA configuration
local/pipewire-jack 1:0.3.53-3
    Low-latency audio/video router and processor - JACK support
local/pipewire-pulse 1:0.3.53-3
    Low-latency audio/video router and processor - PulseAudio replacement
local/wireplumber 0.4.11-1
    Session / policy manager implementation for PipeWire

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the latest pipewire-pulse (1:0.3.54-1) is installed.

Not sure if you want this but you could try switching back to pulseaudio and check if everything works on your end:

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/audio/pulseaudio/2021/12/

If you don’t want, just ignore this post :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for the link. I followed the instructions and now everything is working with pulseaudio installed :smiley:

1 Like

It might work, but I very much dislike switching people back to deprecated software instead of fixing a problem that keeps happening (and making people think that PipeWire is trash and needs to be avoided etc. etc.).

I am not sure if I have missed this.

There is no mention of it in ArchWiki and it seems to have been updated not long ago:

Last Updated: 2022-06-22 18:23 UTC

1 Like

“Deprecated” might be a bit hyperbolic… :sweat_smile: But, PipeWire is definitely intended as a replacement, and the direction that all sensible distros are heading in.

2 Likes

You are right. It was a piece of “quick and dirty fix” perhaps.

Not my intention.

Right, I agree.

I didn’t think it was - again, a wee bit of hyperbole/tongue-in-check commentary on how opinions are formed. :pensive:

1 Like