No start only kernel-panic

The ISO that had kernel 5.8 was from September 2020:

https://endeavouros.com/news/the-september-release-and-endeavouros-arm-arrived/

The next ISO, from February 2021, had kernel 5.10:

This is where you can get the latest ISO:

https://endeavouros.com/latest-release/

1 Like

And again the iso burned onto the dvd is from sept 2020. Download the latest from the website, grab a usb stick, and start over.

3 Likes

What system? I didnā€™t even know they still did DVDs in the magazines!

1 Like

What Linux-magazine? Would be interesting to see the issue number and if they actually deployed and old ISO on the DVD.

1 Like

I am not sure we have a full enough picture of what the OP is attempting. I didnā€™t go through the entire journal linked earlier ā€¦ I actually stopped when I saw this:

List of 17 partitions on /dev/sda
disk:
  /dev/sda             WDC WD7500BPVT-2
partition:
  /dev/sda1            Partition
  /dev/sda2            Partition
  /dev/sda3            Partition
  /dev/sda4            Partition
  /dev/sda5            Partition
  /dev/sda6            Partition
  /dev/sda7            Partition
  /dev/sda8            Partition
  /dev/sda9            Partition
  /dev/sda10           Partition
  /dev/sda11           Partition
  /dev/sda12           Partition
  /dev/sda13           Partition
  /dev/sda14           Partition
  /dev/sda15           Partition
  /dev/sda16           Partition
  /dev/sda17           Partition

Using an outdated ISO image and apparently having a lot of different multibooted OSs can both introduce a lot of issues ā€¦ with that many partitions Iā€™d be worried about having things correct in /etc/fstab

4 Likes

Gā€™day from DownUnder.

Hope I am not treading on too many toes being only new here 24 hours, but Linux user for 11 years, no Windows for 7 years and multi-multi-multi-booting Linux for 7 years.

I currently have 70 or so Linux running on this Dell Inspiron rig.

Hereā€™s a pic taken just now, while Grub reconfigures itself

4Endeavour-grub-reconfiguring

ā€¦ youā€™ll see Endeavour near the bottom, I have 8 or 9 Arch-based Linux in my stable.

Mention has been made that if you wish to multiboot Debian-based with Arch, you must have Endeavourā€™s Grub in charge.

That is not so.

You can set up a file, I call mine custom.cfg , which you can place in /boot/grub which will tag lines onto your Grub Menu that allow you to boot with impunity into any Arch-based distro, from a Grub controlled by the others.

Have to go for my evening meal in Oz, but I can expand on this here or as directed by Der Doktor or other staffer.

Cheers

Wizard

@wizardfromoz
Just out of curiosity, are you actually using all these distribution on a regular basis (switching)? Or more precisely, what is it you do with all of these installations?

Itā€™s just easier than to do it that way than trying to explain how to set it up and create custom configs. If you want o create a tutorial or post the procedure. Iā€™m sure it would be beneficial to some. Even me! Iā€™m using rEFInd because grub is annoying. :laughing: I only have triple boot EOS now. I canā€™t imagine having and using and keeping 70 distros. I donā€™t feel the need!

@ricklinux nice to meet a fellow Commonwealth Member. Itā€™s actually a simple procedure, taking only moments with Nano or favourite text editor, and the number of Arch-based entries to be accommodated can be easily expanded or contracted by circumstances, and without having to reconfigure Grub or fstab.

Iā€™ll write up a Thread this weekend, if you can fast-track me where to place it that would be cool.

@I0F - valid question, off topic here, but I will either address in the new Thread or elsewhere soon. Just kick my butt if I donā€™t mention you - 5,000 year old Wizards move slowly at times, and the memory has been a little patchy the last millennium.

Cheers

Wizard

Edit - BTW - @ricklinux , Rod Smithā€™s rEFInd gets a lot of good reviews, I have yet to take it for a spin myself.

1 Like

Thanks, it sounds like a solution. I had given up, because Eos-grub doesnā€™t work for my multibooting issue, there are too many entries because of no submenues. And usual non-arch grub start EOS without intel-code only, so both are no real ways to use.
ren

Started work on the thread yesterday, probably have it up in 24. Just have to bone up on my site navigation to find where to best place it.

Friday here in Oz, so

Avagudweegend
Wizard

@ren , it is up now, here

https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/installed-endeavouros-or-other-arch-alongside-other-distro-then-kernel-panic-later/20182

Hope it helps

Wizard

1 Like

Hi thanks it is working. First time with *"EndeavourOS ; no - configfile, after then same only without asterix, *is at first position. edited: in mint it is only ā€˜xyzā€™ now showing all
I have a start also with removing the intel-ucode from grub30. Where or how I can see, that this intel-ucode is now loaded?
-Oh, have to set it back, because custom.cfg recalls it, right? edited: done started also! Forgotten: It seems to start EnOS-grub because of 100 entries, but this time doesnā€™t matter EnOS is on top and starts quickly.
ren

Thatā€™s great news @ren , glad itā€™s helped you. :grinning: