No audio in some Wine games

Hi everyone!

I have a few games running with Wine. They may or may not have fallen off a pirate ship, and they came with their Wine configuration files, meaning I have not done any configuration myself. Supposedly they run on Linux out of the box. Some of them work OK, but some others have no sound.

Unfortunately I do not speak Russian, meaning I cannot ask on the forum (harbour?) where I got them, so I figured I should ask here.

I also saw this post. Each game has their own Wine binaries, so I tried to execute the winecfg provided by the pirate captain, but I get this error:

wineserver: using server-side synchronization.
wine: '/home/maru/.wine' is a 64-bit installation, it cannot be used with a 32-bit wineserver.

Does anyone know what could be happening?

Without spending too much time figuring out what are those self-runners doing, i’d do that:

1. Configure your own portable wine prefix with portable wine engine
    Linux gaming [Guide]

2. Copy game files from your :pirate_flag: ship to that portable prefix, try to run the game via Lutris.

2 Likes

Due to the limited information, ii’s hard to guess your problem.
The 64-bits container ‘.wine804048’ is backuped for years.
For each Arch Os, i just do the first two lines installation, and repeat the same procedures after the first two lines.
The key here is that ‘FoxTrader-Big5.exe’ is a 32-bits win-10 app. You can check your own procedures.

sudo pacman -Sy wine-staging (if not found, must open multilib)
sudo pacman -S winetricks zenity

copy .wine804048" (from backup without /dosdevices)

export WINEARCH=win64 && export WINEPREFIX=“/home/cheng888/.wine804048”

$ winecfg - - > windows 10, display 116 px, fonts
$ wine64 regedit - - - > import foxhkcugood.reg, foxhklmgood.reg, cu.reg, lm.reg

export WINEARCH=win64 && export WINEPREFIX=“/home/cheng888/.wine804048” ((((((( << important >> do this for each opening of terminal )))))))

wine64 explorer /desktop=name,3775x2100 “C:\Fox20161226T\FoxTrader-Big5.exe”
wine64 explorer /desktop=name,3775x2100 /run/media/cheng888/ext4cc/.wine804048/drive_c/Fox20161226T/FoxTrader-Big5.exe

FoxTrader-Big5.exe ------------------- a 32-bits win-10 app.

I have not done any tinkering with Wine yet. However, I found the audio was being output to my speakers (which were turned down, so I couldn’t hear at first) instead of my headset (Razer Kraken V3 X).

I played a while with speaker audio, so I figured I should try with my headset again. I plugged it in, switched output devices to my headset, and there was no audio. However, when I switched back to my speakers, there was no audio once again. I unplugged my headset, and still no audio. But then, I do a reboot with my headset unplugged, and the audio is back for speakers only.

So it seems that the issue is with me manually changing the output device to my headset, which irreversibly “breaks” the game audio, until I do a reboot.

I switched the output device with pavucontrol, by the way.

Also worth noting: The game is not recognized by pavucontrol as an application, for example:
I currently have Firefox and the game executing, but the game is not appearing.

I think it would be easier to just use lutris, you can install whatever in a lutris prefix after it’s configured, a bit more research, but at least you’ll learn something about wine. Also I didn’t sail the seas for years now, but I never really had to venture to Russian waters to find what I wanted. I wouldn’t trust anything russian nowadays, even if it’s running on linux.

ChatGPT speaks really good russian btw.

From arch wiki :::
By default sound issues may arise when running Wine applications. Ensure only one sound device is selected in winecfg.

Install the correct packages for the audio driver you want to use:

For ALSA install lib32-alsa-lib and lib32-alsa-plugins
For PulseAudio install lib32-libpulse
For PipeWire install lib32-pipewire and either:
    pipewire-pulse and lib32-libpulse to use PulseAudio as a frontend.
    pipewire-alsa, lib32-alsa-lib, and lib32-alsa-plugins to use ALSA as a frontend.
For OSS install lib32-alsa-oss

If winecfg still fails to detect the audio driver (Selected driver: (none)), configure it via the registry. For example, in a case where the microphone was not working in a 32-bit Windows application on a 64-bit stock install of wine-1.9.7, this provided full access to the sound hardware (sound playback and mic): open regedit, look for the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Wine > Drivers, and add a string called Audio and give it the value alsa. Also, it may help to recreate the prefix.
From arch wiki :::

I install the three libs ::

yay -S lib32-pipewire
yay -S lib32-libpulse
yay -S lib32-alsa-plugins

Then i run ::

export WINEARCH=win64 && export WINEPREFIX=“/home/cheng888/.wine804048”
wincfg

The following audio sinks are detected ::

Lv2_EQ-Reggae Sink
Lv2_EQ-Rock Sink
Lv2_EQ-Ska Sink
Lv2_EQ-Soft Sink
Lv2_EQ-Techno Sink
Lv2_EQ-Highno Sink
Lv2_Kalaok Sink
Ladsp_Kalaok Sink
Aeq-Reggae-calf Sink
Surround-Lad-71 Sink
Surround-Lv2-71 Sink
Virtual-Surround-71 Sink
Crossover-Lv2-71 Sink
Exciter-calf-71 Sink

USB Audio Device
Digital Surround 7.1 (HDMI)

I have no games, so just try to install the libs you may need.

This reply post has nothing to do with your post, just let the fact known that if you are using endeavour, you have a good choice.
I came to the forum not long ago just for finding out why endeavour os has a very excellent evironment configuration for pipewire.
I haven’t found the answer but just know endeavour is endurable through any tests, though i may never find out the fact.
The test for other arch os is on going (i usually keep about 10 OSs at hand).
The testing purpose is for the plugins of more than 10 sinks and about more than 1000 linking ports in ‘pipewire.conf’ and for moving pipewire server from /run/user/1000 to /tmp/xxxx.socket.
Also finally, i want to extend my hearted thanks to the endeavour os’s developer teams.

Reboot after the setup of configuration and environment setting and pavucontrol is in perfect state.

lxxxx ::::: /2023/0329/ (one run lasts all day )
➜ systemctl --user daemon-reload && systemctl --user restart wireplumber.service
➜ systemctl --user restart pipewire.service

lxxxxx ::::: /2023/0331/
$ systemctl --user daemon-reload && systemctl --user restart wireplumber.service
$ systemctl --user restart pipewire.service
$ systemctl --user restart pipewire-pulse.service
$ systemctl --user daemon-reload && systemctl --user restart wireplumber.service

cxxxx ::::: /2023/0401/

endeavour ::::: /2023/0401/09:33

Forget about some shady Russian launcher and follow @keybreak 's guide. It works for both legally purchased games and … well, games your friends have shared with you :parrot: (of course, I would never recommend the latter, as I’m sure, the secret agent assigned to monitoring my online activities will confirm…)

Tried and tested, good guide.

What happens to me (on a side-note) is rather that sometimes I get no wine in audio-games… :sunny:

2 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s input! Unfortunately I got tied up with some work so I’ll have to follow the guide at a later date. At a first glance, it seems very useful!

1 Like

I don’t know, in my case, it was just a matter of adding the optional dependency lib32-libpulse to get audio working with wine in games.