New on Arch

Hi, I’m new here in the forum and just want to find out if I get along with Arch (especially bleeding edge). So far I only had different *buntu on my computer.

EndeavourOS is currently running in a live session (Xfce) and I think I will install it tomorrow.

English is not my native language, I use a translator. I come from Germany.

13 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

When I moved from a 'Buntu distro to an Arch-based distro (in my case, Manjaro) that felt like moving from Windoze to Linux, again (more freedom, less bloat). And then I hopped from Manjaro to EndeavourOS, and that also felt the same.

You are smarter than me, and skipped a step :slight_smile:

6 Likes

welcome ,willkommen

2 Likes

hi @Balder welcome at your new Endeavour then.
If you have a question, simple ask we will support you with :heart:

3 Likes

Welcome @Balder great you land off with EndeavourOS ! :rocketa_purple:

2 Likes

Welcome! :partying_face:

Pretty sure you won’t regret your flight with us here! :rocket:

2 Likes

hello @Balder
Welcome to EndeavourOS/Arm

2 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome to EndeavourOS!
:enos:

2 Likes

Thread moved from #Arch-based-related-questions to #lounge:hello

(TL3 is much nicer than TL1 :joy: )

6 Likes

One thing from my debian days (Ubunto originally) I was glad to kiss goodbye were all the PPA’s, and maintaining them when you upgraded. You will have AUR now, a toybox full of apps.

Welcome to EOS and Arch!! :wave:

4 Likes

Thanx @all

Hallo! Wie geht’s? As you can see we are an very freindly and diversely international bunch. Enjoy EOS :smiley:

4 Likes

Welcome to the community :beers:

2 Likes

Welcome! We’re glad to have you. And don’t worry, Arch based isn’t nearly as scary as Google makes it out to be.

3 Likes

Welcome and have fun :balloon: :balloon:

1 Like

Thanks for the friendly reception. I have just finished installing EOS. It is very minimalistic, which I like very much. Only the kernel management is a bit unfamiliar at the moment despite akm. I have read through and learned that with sudo pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers I can install the last LTS kernel on top of that. I did that. What do I have to do if I always want to have the mainkernel and the last LTS kernel? That means, if kernel 5.9 becomes the new LTS, will it stay as such or will it be deleted like an outdated mainline kernel when kernel 5.10 is released? And another thing: if I don’t intend to compile kernels myself, can I delete the linux-lts-headers again?

linux and linux-lts will always be the latest kernel and the latest LTS kernel, respectively. If you want the older LTS kernel once a new LTS kernel is released it will probably show up in AUR once it is no longer in the repos. Alternatively, you could build and maintain it yourself.

You will need the headers if you use any dkms modules. IMO, unless you are extremely bandwidth limited it is safer to have the headers around in case you ever need them.

3 Likes

many thanks @dalto

I am looking forward to learning a lot more here in the future.

1 Like

welcome to the fun @Balder :beers:

2 Likes