New linux and linux-lts

It’s just to sync the repo you added in the pacman.conf file first before you try to install the lts kernel.

1 Like

No, it’s that I ran sudo pacman -S kernel-lts/linux-lts54 5.4.98-1
instead of sudo pacman -S linux-lts54 5.4.98-1

just sudo pacman -S linux-lts54

and sudo pacman -S linux-lts54-headers too

no version numbers behind it

1 Like

I kinda feel like on Arch, saying there’s a new linux and linux-lts package is like saying “the sun came up”.

3 Likes

The lts kernel switching major versions doesn’t happen very often. It is also significant since so many people were running LTS because 5.10 wasn’t working for them. Now LTS is 5.10.

5 Likes

I know, it’s just…funny, because it’s nearly EVERY DAY those packages get updated, even if it’s just to a patchfix.

1 Like

Hmm, today LTS kernel update again, 5.10.16-2, the version of the non-LTS kernel: 5.10.16-1. Could this mean 5.11 is going to knock on our doors today?

1 Like

Its not funny if your system doesn’t work with 5.10 and 5.4-lts is about to be removed from the official repos.

The last lts kernel version update was more than a year ago … that is a really long night.

https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/commit/8903c370bc711fb61b65f6e3b870672fc32487f1#diff-3e341d2d9c67be01819b25b25d5e53ea3cdf3a38d28846cda85a195eb9b7203a

But the last new LTS package (not entire version, just the package itself getting updated)? How long ago was that? That’s what I’m saying, the actual packages get updated very nearly every single day, sometimes multiple times in a day. Which makes a thread with the title “new” without any further description of new what seem humorous to me.

What everybody is trying to say is that at this moment there’s a big kernel change going on. The LTS version got bumped up from 5.4 to 5.10 since yesterday and this kernel will be used for the upcoming year.
The mainstream kernel is going to get bumped up from 5.10 to 5.11, the version everyone over here is talking about as the new version.
At this moment, the mainstream kernel and the LTS kernel are the same one, but that will change very very soon.

6 Likes

Heads up on this coming soon:
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2021-February/030339.html

This change will require a configuration change for anyone running a kernel older than 5.9.

8 Likes

I almost can’t imagine anyone from our community will bump into this issue, but you never know, right?!?

4 Likes

Thx for heads-up, good new defaults btw in my opinion :slight_smile:

@Bryanpwo
If there is a computer system…and a human… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Given that there is two seperate topics where people are installing 5.4 it seems quite probable. :nerd_face:

Yeah… You’re right :flushed: :pleading_face: I will crawl back in a dark corner and eat crow… :laughing:

2 Likes

And look, so far the 5.10 LTS HAS been updated every day. :wink:

The official Archlinux Arm base image for Odroid N2 is still kernel-4.9.219. There are a lot of people working on getting Odroid N2 on the mainstream kernel. Hopefully that will come to fruition soon.

As for official Archlinux Arm base images, Raspberry Pi 4b and RPi 400 with 32 bit OS are already on the mainstream kernel.

I think @Shjim 's Pine Book Pro is already on mainstream kernel also?

The Odroid N2 and Raspberry Pi 4 series represent almost all of the EndeavourOS user’s interest and usage.

Pudge

2 Likes

@Pudge close enough !

" https://github.com/nadiaholmquist/pbp-packages/tree/master/linux-pbp "

1 Like

Good catch.

Current mkinitcpio default compression is gzip.

To keep the current status quo, anyone running a legacy lts kernel will need to override the new zstd default with gzip when mkinitcpio-30 hits the stable repo.

Uncomment this line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to keep gzip compression.

COMPRESSION="gzip"
3 Likes

I blindly made the jump to a new LTS (with a backup…), and… so far, so good. :smiley:

[roger@roger-lenovo ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: N/A 
  Device-3: Acer EasyCamera type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: intel 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.4
[roger@roger-lenovo ~]$ uname -a
Linux roger-lenovo 5.10.16-1-lts #1 SMP Sun, 14 Feb 2021 14:48:38 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

3 Likes