New kernel install messes with Grub-btrfs snapshot entries

hey all just wanted to let you know that when I just updated my system if borked my timeshift entries on Grub…like it removed the snapshots entry on my grub screen.

to fix this after update just run:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
1 Like

Good that you found out how to fix it on your own.

Please note that it is standard practice to update grub and mkinit (using mkinitcpio -P) when you install a kernel or get a new grub update from a pacman -Syu.

This is common knowledge for intermediate to advanced users but very useful for beginners.

:wink:

@ddnn For whom it is standard practice? For BTRFS users? Asking, cause I rely on hooks when I install kernel updates, and do grub updates only when there is new grub version.

mkinitcpio(or dracut) will run on it’s own by the provided hooks.

We ship grub without hooks so running grub-mkconfig is required.

I think we are talking about installing a new kernel, not updating an existing kernel. If you are updating an existing kernel, no manual intervention should be needed.

1 Like

What he said.

I think because I don’t have eos-update installed, I just use yay mostly, my comments may seem out-of-place for certain scenarios.

The same is true for yay

Doesn’t dracut run on its own even with yay? I never run grub-mkconfig when I run yay.

@dalto is running grub-mkconfig needed every time after I run a system update which would do a kernel update?

I use mkinit, not dracut, but yes @dalto is right. For most of my system updates (if not all), a mkinit hook runs automatically.

And no. Only grub updates. Unless I read it wrong from a previous thread. I can say that so far, no kernel update has borked my grub, at least.

In fact, yay normally tells me to run a grub-mkconfig when there is a grub update.

1 Like

Thanks. Hey … if can switch to dracut it’s much better, fast and it will be maintained. mkinit will be shelved.

Where’d you hear that? Or do you mean for EnOS specifically?

No, only if you install a different kernel. For example, you normally run linux but you decide to run linux-zen

From the creators of mkinit

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2019-May/029570.html

There was a point when that was being considered for Arch. It it is no longer true as far I know.

mkinitcpio is currently actively being maintained

I see. So similar to Xorg. It’s gonna eventually stop, but there is no end date.

When the time comes, it comes. I’ll probably switch the next time I reinstall. But for now, all is good.

The Arch wiki certainly doesn’t hint at any end of support, but it does make it clear that Arch is pretty much a lone wolf by using mkinit.

That was 5 years ago. Things change.

mkinitcpio is under active development these days.

I know. I was just saying that even 5 years ago, there was no end date. It was just a proposal to switch… eventually.

But like you said, now you just have another option in the form of dracut, and it seems more reliable.

Just to get a clear idea. I use tkg kernels currently I use 6.6.23-273-tkg-linux-lts-tkg-pds (gives better performance. I think better than ZEN).

So, I need to run grub-mkconfig after updating?

No, only if you swicth kernels or add a new one.

As long as your kernel has a valid pkgbase, the automation will all work.

2 Likes

I think we are talking about installing a new kernel, not updating an existing kernel. If you are updating an existing kernel, no manual intervention should be needed.

This was an update to the kernel. Been using the same install for about 2 years now, this is the first time this has happened to me in that time.

Then something is broken with grub-btrfs.

What are you using to update the menu? grub-btrfsd or something else?