New Internet Standards HTTP/3

As of October 2020, the HTTP/3 protocol is an Internet-Draft and has multiple implementations. According to W3Techs 7.3% of the top 10 million websites support HTTP/3. Stable versions of and Chrome support HTTP/3 in its current form, but have it disabled by default. Safari 14 will ship with HTTP/3 enabled by default.

4 Likes

Does this mean enhanced tracking capabilities too? Say, 9% faster :grin:

OK - tinfoil hat removal enabled…

7 Likes

Anything to make Internet respond faster is a bonus! If people would stop supporting the companies like Facebook and such then there would be less tracking and ads and all this other crap! I don’t use Facebook, or Chrome.

3 Likes

Never seems that big tech’s supposed ‘improvements’ actually bring benefit, and haven’t had a good feeling about this coming in, so I’m expecting more tracking and control … just like 5g coming in, which helps big tech hoover up much more data and have much more coverage. Definitely agree that giving no support to big tech is the way to go, and critically very fast, as, if they get more rolled out, it could get to the point where it’s much harder to act.

2 Likes

Tracking doesn’t come from new internet standards. It comes from companies who like to exploit these new technologies for profit!

1 Like

But the people bringing in these new standards are the ones exploiting things. :+1:t2: All of them are doing it, and never a week goes by without discovering one or more of them are working together, and/or with China, or e.g. MS and Amazon with governments, etc.

2 Likes

I disagree with that because theses companies are not necessarily the ones bringing in these standards. They may be exploiting the capabilities yes!

Bit puzzled, as the article references google and apple developing these things, along with another company. :confused: But no problem; different views. :+1:t2: Most importantly, great about not supporting e.g. Facebook and Chrome, as you’ve said. I have no social media, except here and a Mastadon account I don’t post on, lol.

1 Like

I was just speaking in General that sometimes it’s not always the Big guy’s that develop this stuff but they exploit what ever gets developed to their benefit to profit from. HTTP/3 is the third version of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP), previously known as HTTP-over-QUIC. QUIC (Quick UDP Internet Connections) was initially developed by Google and is the successor of HTTP/2.

1 Like

Not sure why the italics; article’s clear. Whatever they’re up to, I’m busy preparing the bunker more, lol, at least to use to some degree, while seeing how things pan out. Not sure what else is left personally to do, with being so little online and already not support to big tech. Needs more people to withdraw support from big tech, then we’ll see more positive change.

1 Like

How about new standard Google/0

2 Likes

It’s not just all about Google. This work is done by the Internet Engineering Task force. Developing a new network protocol is hard, and getting it right requires everyone to work together.

2 Likes

I know, i know…But where else could we use /0 joke?! :laughing:

1 Like

I have just enabled it on Firefox.

Edit:

about:config

network.http.http3.enabled

1 Like

Almost There: Http3 is coming!

1 Like
2 Likes