Nemo on Gnome 42?

So far I am satisfied with Gnome 42, and I would like to keep it close to stock Gnome. Unfortunately Gnome has a terrible Nautilus file manager replacement they call Gnome Files.

I have always liked Nemo, but before installing it, I wonder who has tried it with Gnome 42? What do you think of it and which repository did you use?

Have a link?

Do that :hugs:

1 Like

https://archlinux.org/packages/?name=nemo

Try installing nemo with pacman.

It includes the Cinnamon Desktop as a dependency. I believe that is pretty much the entire Cinnamon Desktop. So it comes with a price

BTW tell pacman not to install nemo after you see the extra baggage.

Pudge

5 Likes

I can probably afford that…

Thanks for your advice Pudge.

2 Likes

I’ve been using nemo in Gnome for 6 months now. I prefer a couple of its features. I might have missed that cinnamon-desktop bit… but I don’t know how it materializes. Cinnamon is not a DE option for me to login in the login manager.

1 Like

pcmanfm no bad…

6 Likes

gnome-desktop is not GNOME.

cinnamon-desktop is not Cinnamon.

These are library packages used by those DEs, not the full DEs: “Library with common API for various modules”.

7 Likes

Gnome 42?

I like the dual pane F3, and that it saves your folder view.

This is, if not the first thing, among the first things I do while setting up GNOME.
Among other things, I like that Nemo gives me the option to “Open as Root” under the right click out-of-the-box for those time I am too lazy for sudoing something in the terminal.

pacman -Qi nemo

Name            : nemo
Version         : 5.2.4-1
Description     : Cinnamon file manager (Nautilus fork)
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo
Licenses        : GPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : cinnamon-desktop  dconf  gvfs  exempi  libexif  libnotify  libxml2  python  xapp
Optional Deps   : cinnamon-translations: i18n
                  ffmpegthumbnailer: support for video thumbnails
                  catdoc: search helpers support for legacy MS Office files
                  ghostscript: search helpers support for PostScript files
                  libgsf: search helpers support for MS Office files
                  libreoffice: search helpers support for legacy MS Office powerpoint files
                  odt2txt: search helpers support for LibreOffice files
                  poppler: search helpers support for PDF
Required By     : None
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 4.14 MiB
Packager        : Antonio Rojas <arojas@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Sat 15 Jan 2022 09:59:30 PM CET
Install Date    : Tue 19 Apr 2022 06:21:06 PM CEST
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature
1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll give it a try.

Gnome 42 since the time it was released in the arch repos.

In nemo I like that ALT shows the keyboard shortcuts in the menu (and shows the menu if its hidden), allowing me to, for instance, create a new file with Alt F D Enter (pressed in sequence, not at the same time).

1 Like

I worked with nemo a while back when I was testing cinnamon desktop. I am not sure what I should find better with nemo than with the gnome file manager. What I find particularly annoying with nemo is the fact that it is not using the tracker infastructure to search for files content. nemo opens every file and searches online every time I use the search functions. and that includes to CPU intense actions like “pdftotext” which nemo executes in the background to search in PDF documents. The gnome file manager on the other hand uses the tracker database to give instant results without stress to the system.

3 Likes

I did see complaints about consuming 50 to even 100% of CPU core, so I keep Gnome files and even Catfish for searching, but I am trying to close to the stock Gnome Other than that I also like it’s right click context menu that is selectable.

Feature-wĂ­se I think Gnome nuetered a feature rich Nautilus. IMHO. But I like the fork.

1 Like

What about the Nemo integration packages. Are they worth a try with Gnome 42? I am thinking about my backup of backup photos on Megasync.

If you’re asking then the answer is “yes”.

Have you used any of them?

I think gnome-files is still Nautilus, just with another name and, maybe, some change on features in latest version:

Linux is not like Windows, you can install and test applications and uninstall them if you don’t like them. Go and install Nemo, is the best way to figure out if it’ll work fine on your OS, then, you can come back and share your experience.

BTW, Nemo is one of the reasons I use Cinnamon DE, I love compact view, open current location as root, bookmarks, location with buttons or text and some other cool features.

I briefly used Cinnamon and that is how I got familiar with Nemo. I looked around for a deep dive on Nemo settings and integrations on YT (I know, outdated place to get info), but I would be interested to get Nemo integrated with Megasync. That would be the icing on the cake for me with Nemo, since this fork project is perfect for my workflow.

1 Like