My Official Introduction

Greetings all! So I joined the Endeavour community on July 24th, exactly one week ago today. I’ve been lurking around, dishing out likes and making a few posts here and there but it has just occurred to me that I have yet to do an official introduction. My name is Nate, and I started my GNU/Linux journey back in the late 90s, early 2000s with Mandrake after first hearing about Linux from my uncle and a TechTV show called “The Screen Savers”. To be honest, I didn’t stay long, as I enjoyed my gaming, and WINE and Tux Racer were at the time not suitable substitutes.

When I went to college, I finally gave Linux a try again, this time with OpenSUSE (I like lizards). I was so sure that I wanted to go all in on FOSS that I didn’t even dual-boot. I just completely wiped my Windows install and replaced it. Looking back, it was a great decision. I used Linux as my daily driver throughout college (although I distro hopped quite a bit), and thought I was finally ready to leave Windows behind. But then came a calamity of extraordinary proportions, a little game some of you may have heard of known as World of Warcraft.

(Un)fortunately for me, my now wife was a fan of WoW, and I came back to Windows once again for a time. As the years progressed however, so did advancements in WINE and eventually Proton. Thanks to the progress in gaming the past few years, I have officially been using Linux as my primary desktop operating system since 2017. Alas, I haven’t been able to get rid of Windows altogether, as I now have to do adulting, and my job requires it.

Anyways, sorry for writing a novel. I believe the very first interaction I had on the forum was me saying that I’d be around, reading and slowly interacting to get a feel for things, and I just want to say that I don’t think I have ever in recent memory participated in such a delightful community. So it seems that I will be here to stay!

11 Likes

Welcome!

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.

2 Likes

Welcome :balloon:

3 Likes

welcome

3 Likes

Jesus Christ dude, not so OFFICIAL!!! :rofl:
We know each other for 6 days, you’re like a family to me already! :upside_down_face:

Not anymore! I predict we’ll have a looooot of fun on Linux now :partying_face:

Same here, absolutely best decision! :slight_smile: No looking back!

2 Likes

YES! This is the type of community I am here for! :rofl:

2 Likes

:wave:…Welcome. I love a good origin story, especially if it is wrapped around… :video_game:. :smiley:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community :beers:

1 Like

The progression of Linux gaming the past few years is truly astounding. I’ve said this many times before, but I would have never thought gaming on Linux would be what it is today, and it’s still growing! Cue “this is the year of the Linux desktop” meme. :joy:

3 Likes

:rofl:…I totally agree. I was so jelly of the MS games/gamers, but now they can s*ck-it! Linux gamers, oh yeah. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I hope “adulting” is a typo, else I might have to apply for that job. :innocent:

Pudge

3 Likes

Ha! It’s no typo. Just a word my wife and I have used for years that has now wound up in my vocabulary.

5 Likes

Welcome to Endeavour. Please stand clear of the closing door.

3 Likes

And keep all limbs inside the ride :yum:

3 Likes