MPV is amazing!

I’ve been using VLC media player for years and was always quite happy with its results but I decided to give MPV a chance a couple of days ago and I have to tell you the difference is amazing!
Been using it with this config file I found on github. The picture quality is so much better.

So if you haven’t tried MPV yet please do and you’ll be typing sudo pacman -R your/current/mediaplayer in no time.

7 Likes

I’m using MPV too, follows my config:

mpv.conf
# Enable hw decoder
hwdec=auto
# Wayland
gpu-context=wayland
# Quality settings
profile=gpu-hq
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossharp
# Audio  
audio-channels=stereo
# Cache
cache=yes
cache-on-disk=yes
cache-dir=/mnt/ext4/mpv
# Protips
window-scale=0.4
geometry=100%:100%
keep-open
input.conf
` cycle border
ALT+UP add window-scale 0.05
ALT+DOWN add window-scale -0.05
b script-message osc-visibility never
a script-message osc-visibility auto
3 Likes

There are quite a few players which use mpv as the backend as well.

2 Likes

Ah okay good to know. Only issue I have with mpv is that it doesnt play matroska files natively. I believe there is a script for that but havent got to it yet

Yes.

Also:

interpolation
tscale=oversample

and

glsl-shaders="~~/shaders/ravu-lite-r4.hook"

MKV is a container format, so I’m not sure why there would be an issue - it works for all of my MKV files without doing anything.

4 Likes

should as long as the format in the container is supported. MKV can be almost anything format wise, it played all mine when i use to use it but these days i like Totem.

1 Like

I never had a problem like this, unless the files were corrupt. Maybe you should have a look with mediainfo/mediainfo-gui and find out, what audio and video codecs the files contain.

1 Like

MPV is my goto player. I install it everywhere.

I agree mpv is amazing. Although I don’t see why there would be an noticeable difference in video quality compared to vlc - assuming both are using the same output and codecs.

1 Like

it is scary to live without vlsub plugin (of VLC) that download subtitles of any movie i throw at it.

1 Like

All I can say that with the configuration file the video is more clear, sharper, colors not so saturated and darker scenes in the video give more detail.

There are scripts that offer automatic subtitles download like this one

1 Like

thanks chomsky, bookmarked this thread. will try it later.

1 Like

I tried again and it seems you are right. Maybe it was just a one of.

Smplayer FTW.

Really flexible media player with mpv as its base.

4 Likes

This is what I use as well.

2 Likes

I don’t think two application’s default UI could be more different… :rofl:

2 Likes

The default skin for smplayer is terrible. It is almost hard to believe they haven’t changed it. Of course, it is easy enough to change to something both nicer and more minimal.

5 Likes

I’m using Smplayer too. It’s one of few players (Kodi is another one), which allows me to switch from 5.1 to 4.1 surround sound. This prevents voices missing due to the “missing” front centre speaker (using a 2.1 soundbar, which is extended with a wireless rear speaker unit).

1 Like

Depends how you configure it … :wink:

3 Likes