MPV is amazing!

Just got this idea early in the morning. can you post the comparison screenshot of MPV after applying the script. Please ignore if i am asking too much.

Very much agree with the Heading of this topic. Hence the post.

Been using mpv as my default video/audio player since I switched to Linux about 6-7 years ago.

Last few months, found another use !! mpv as an image viewer. Already a few great github repos out there, so nothing new. But I combined some HQ shaders/scalers ( again, probably not the first to do so.) But still, some might find this useful. Also, I’m looking to improve the image viewer. Especially testing out different shader/scaler combinations. Any help is much appreciated.

I call it mpvi ( not very original, I know :smile: ). I use to view slideshows so it is set up that way. Can easily be tweaked for other scenarios of course. Made a small shell script and put it in .local/bin and added to PATH.

#!/bin/bash

cd "$1"
mpv --fbo-format=rgba16f --gpu-api=opengl --term-status-msg= --sub-auto=no --audio-file-auto=no --mute=yes --prefetch-playlist=yes --no-osc --msg-level=all=status --no-config --glsl-shaders-append="~/.config/mpv/shaders/FSRCNNX_x2_16-0-4-1_enhance.glsl" --image-display-duration=5 --fullscreen --cscale=lanczos --correct-downscaling=yes --linear-downscaling=no --deband=no --shuffle --dscale=catmull_rom --input-conf=~/.config/mpv/input.conf *

Using KrigBilateral for cscale increases quality but not by much. It, however, takes a lot of processing power. Same is true for SSimDownscaler as dscaler. My hardware cannot handle it real-time. Most cpu+gpu made in the last 5 years could though I haven’t done extensive testing. SSimSuperRes or ravu for luma-upscaling also produces High Quality images but I personally prefer FSRCNNX.

mpv is nowhere as fast as feh, at least with these settings and with my limited hardware. But I very much prefer the uplift in image quality. In fact, the quality difference is quite staggering, at the cost of cpu + gpu power.

P.S I use the FSRCNNX enhance version instead of the normal one. Because I find it produces slightly better images for low-quality images (of course image quality is highly subjective). Also the directory for slideshow is network so playlist prefetch is used. Not sure whether it helps much though. Need a slower net connection to test.

Also, the input.conf has these 2 extra lines. First to the delete, second to copy the current file.

Ctrl+DEL run "/usr/bin/rm" "-v" "${path}"
Ctrl+s run "/usr/bin/cp" "-v" "${path}" "~/Pictures/"
1 Like
  • i suspect my MPV needs more configuring.
  • already using the script provided above. however, i feel, that i am not downloading many subtitles that vlsub plugin used to download.

can you provide some ready made mpv which requires less tinkering.

MPV is amazing!

Especially in conjunction with this AUR package:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pipe-viewer-git

1 Like

Is there actually any real reason to use VLC anymore?

2 Likes

Only if you havn’t deleted your windoze partition yet, it seems to me.
:laughing:

1 Like

It is the only player that will handle over 1000 songs through DLNA.
All my music is on my LAN server (NAS)

If anyone has any suggestions for a media player that supports DLNA besides Rythmbox, I am open to try them.

Pudge

I was just gonna say this.

The last time I tried Rythmbox (and it has been a long time ago) it didn’t handle over 1k of files.
Maybe I should try it again.

Pudge

It perfectly reads (and plays) my iTunes library from the MacOS Media drive (27.000+ tunes).

1 Like

Thanks for checking. I will have to give rythmbox a try again.

Pudge

1 Like

Is that still being maintained?

It is.

Many of it’s old “rough edges” have been shaved off.

:wink:

1 Like

very nice. thank you.

1 Like

I use smplayer it’s amazing

1 Like

Me to, great in Plasma too as it follows the system themes when the icon theme is set to classic

VLC is crashing for me, (I used VLC for years on Windows and Linux, first time I am having such an issue) but I will stick to it if I can resolve the crash.
If you think MPV is awesome, try converting a large video with VLC to its H.265+MP4 preset and compare the file size and quality of the old video and new.

There are other tools for such tasks, me thinks. (OT: Ever try handbrake?)

3 Likes

Yep, tried it. Conversion took a few magnitues of order longer than VLC with less space saving. (for me)

Perhaps, you would open another thread for this issue?