Microphone Does Not Record, Loud Beeping Noise

Hi everyone,

When I try to record on my microphone using the headset, I get a VERY loud pitched beeping noise that is constant. The mic does not record any audio at all.

I have a desktop computer that has two ports for audio on the front of the CPU tower. One is a line out and the other a line in. I’m connecting a Apple 3.5 mm headset to both ports via a cable that plugs into the headset, and has two ends that plug into both the line in and line out ports on the top of the CPU tower.

I’ve tested whether the mic records on my Windows 10 installation, and it works just fine.

inxi -Axxx:

Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:a348 class-ID: 0403
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU104 HD Audio vendor: eVga.com. driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 8 bus-ID: 02:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:10f8
    class-ID: 0403
  API: ALSA v: k6.8.1-arch1-1 status: kernel-api
  Server-1: sndiod v: N/A status: off
  Server-2: PipeWire v: 1.0.4 status: active with: 1: pipewire-pulse
    status: active 2: wireplumber status: active 3: pipewire-alsa type: plugin
    4: pw-jack type: plugin

arecord -l

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC1220 Analog [ALC1220 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 2: ALC1220 Alt Analog [ALC1220 Alt Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

alsamixer:

pauvcontrol:

What is especially strange is that the pauvcontrol seems to detect the microphone. When I use gnome recorder, I only get a very loud, persistent beep noise.

To try to resolve this, I followed the steps in this post: [SOLVED] Microphone is detected but no sound is recorded

I added options snd-hda-intel model=dell-headset-multi to /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel-headset.conf

But it does not resolve the issue.

I’m not sure what to do at this point to get the mic working. What is especially strange is that this works on my laptop, but not the desktop.