Maximum resolution for secondary monitor changes after system is locked for long periods of time

Hello, I’ve been having some troubles with my setup and I would appreciate it if anyone were able to help. The title basically describes the issue. When my screen is locked for long periods of time, the display settings go from this:

To this:

and I’m unable to turn the resolution up any higher than that until I either turn the monitor off and on, reboot the computer, or put the computer into sleep and wake it. I’ve posted a few logs suggested in the welcome thread to hopefully give people some idea of what’s happening. If anyone needs any other details I’ll be happy to provide. Thanks.

Logs: https://0x0.st/HZan.txt

Pretty sure I figured out the answer to this one on my own, adding this before the thread is auto-closed in case anyone stumbles upon this in the future with the same problem.

After reading through my X11 logs again immediately after the problem occurred, I noticed these two lines happening again and again:

[ 11554.842] (WW) AMDGPU(0): flip queue failed: Device or resource busy
[ 11554.842] (WW) AMDGPU(0): Page flip failed: Device or resource busy

I did a bit of research into what a “flip queue” was, and while I’m no expert in these things by any means, it appeared to be related to screen tearing. Something that I failed to mention in my original post that I probably should’ve mentioned was that I experienced minor graphical glitches on my primary monitor whenever the screen resolution on the secondary monitor was about to change. On a hunch, I enabled the TearFree option in my X11 config, rebooted, and I haven’t had the issue occur since. You can find instructions on how to modify your config here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/xorg. To fix the issue, I added a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ called 41-amdgpu-custom.conf. The contents of this file were as follows:

Section "OutputClass"
        Identifier "AMDgpu"
        MatchDriver "amdgpu"
        Driver "amdgpu"
        Option "HotplugDriver" "amdgpu"
        Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.