Manjaro to EndeavourOS experiences

As EndeavourOS we are an outsider on what’s going on at Manjaro and since the current situation attracted/attracts media attention, we would really appreciate it that you try and leave the bashing of Manjaro or one of its team members out of the forum.

We, as developers, respect any developers team in the Linux world out there and we certainly don’t want to give the impression that the atmosphere over here is against any distro. Of course you can say that you don’t like a certain distro as long as it’s not bashing the other party.

A majority of new Manjaro users understood and act on a clever way in being here and we Thanks them for that. Unfortunately, some still didn’t understand that EndeavourOS is not the place to bash Manjaro or one of its team members, this is not our philosophy, so please respect our Community !
It would be one small step for yourself, one giant leap for our Community…

12 Likes

There’s bad eggs everywhere. IMO people learn well with negative reinforcement. A week to think works great if simple moderating doesn’t. If they can’t figure it out after that, it’s a great wide internet they can enjoy.

But, that’s just me. Don’t let a few ruin a great thing just to be tolerant.

7 Likes

Our Community is very tolerant as you could see, then it would be great to not have still red flag to deal with because we see again here the names of Manjaro team members !!

3 Likes

If someone here uses the M-word again, all keys should fall out of the keyboard and the optical drive will spit out squirrels!

8 Likes

Well, if I owned an optical drive, that would make me want to use it!! SQUIRRELS!!!

6 Likes

Okay, let’s get on track of the thread again. :wink:

4 Likes

WOW!
Ignorant me just got curious about why the sudden influx of previous M* users, so I did some reading. :exploding_head:
What a soap opera; it was hard to pull myself away, :astonished: :scream: :roll_eyes: :rofl:.

A honest welcome to all those lost & damaged souls in need of a new home.

7 Likes

Oh, also need new root & swap. Mind you, the old data is still good…

:crazy_face:

20 Likes

I’ll say the whole transition experience has been very educational. I knew that Manjaro did a decent amount of hand holding, so I came into EOS knowing there would be more work on my end. Fortunately, it was a pretty painless experience.

I’m really enjoying the LUKS+BTRFS experience. I used timeshift with the regular rsync features before, but now snapshots are absurdly faster to do and restore back to.

My next hurdle is to learn the ins and outs of BTRFS compared to EXT4.

6 Likes

I too am using the BTRFS set up. Did you do the verbose version? I don’t know if i could. It seems daunting. I used the quick copy & paste method. Need to understand this a whole lot more before i attempt it that way.

1 Like

I did the quick version as well as, like you, I’m pretty ignorant of the intricacies of BtrFS.

I’ve been wanting to change over to it for a while as I’ve only been using Linux full-time for about 2 years and I’ve definitely had a decent amount of times where I was glad I had a timeshift backup. So the power of instant-seeming backups & restores was quite alluring to me.

1 Like

Can we zsh Manjaro?

11 Likes

:neutral_face:

6 Likes

Thx God we don’t fish Manjaro here… :sweat_smile: :blowfish:

2 Likes

Keep it clean people :hugs:

3 Likes

One thing I will note in differences, and maybe I just had something configured incorrectly all along, but from boot-up, the login screen appears within seconds in EOS on Plasma. I have spent the last three years on “M” with it taking a good minute or more to get to the login screen.

I also think they have a lot of unnecessary systemd startup processes running out of the box. EOS from what I can tell so far, has streamlined this process and left the decision to the user. Correct if I am wrong here, but can I get an ‘AMEN?’ :raised_hands:

8 Likes

Agree that zshing Manjaro is not acceptable in this forum, but lets not pretend there is not a very big reason why so many long term loyal Manjaro users suddenly became disenfranchised Manjaro refugees looking for another home.

Strange in life how a single event finally breaks a camel’s back whilst all the others before didn’t.

I guess only so much can be swept under a single rug and stay hidden, eventually it spills out for all to see.

:man_shrugging:

Moral of the story … don’t fire a beloved pied piper!

:sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Although I can’t really speak to this, because I was not a “M” user, perhaps some of the migration to EnOS has been a recognition amongst M-users that there is a strong, viable, technical alternative, which has a similar, familiar community feeling? They say, “timing is everything …”.

In any event, personally, I want to welcome you all! It has been fun watching your transition into the community. I’ve enjoyed the wit, learning the various personalities/ personas, and I’m truly appreciating the technical know-how that you all are bringing to this community. WELCOME!

Barry

20 Likes

Done.
Just got out of the shower with it.
Geez it squirms whilst i try to dry it.

4 Likes

Wait… so we’re all… rats?

Yeah, feels about right.

Hey, who moved the cheese?

4 Likes