Manjaro is working on a Flatpak-focused version

you can just go custom → $0 download.

1 Like

I would actually like Manjaro to be pacmanless. I think it’s a worthy feat and I hope it happens sooner than later.

Then Arch can wash it’s hands off the stigma of being associated with such a project.

6 Likes

I hope it’s gonna be wrapped in snaps! :egg:
:rofl:

3 Likes

“I heard you like AppImages so I put Flatpaks in your Snaps.”

7 Likes

Or Fedora’s Silverblue.

Actually, Silverblue might be a good preview of Manjaro with only flatpaks

Pudge

EDIT:

EDIT2:
Silverblue has an immutable Desktop OS, so it would be like brtfs and snapshots on steriods.

7 Likes

So…I am I the only one who doesn’t see this is a big deal?

We have a seemingly endless number of Arch-based distros these days. If one of them wants to go in a different direction, that seems great to me. Maybe it will be something I will love, maybe it will be something I will never use. Either way, in the grand scheme of the Linux ecosystem, nothing of significance is lost.

That being said, it is all just speculation right now. Better to wait and see what actually happens.

10 Likes

Dear community, i have a great news!

honka_animated-128px-9

5 Likes

I agree. Since I am not forced to use Manjaro I do not realy care.
It’s just interesting to se “an arch-based system” to move away from arch so much.

1 Like

Looks like it.

If people want immutable then use Fedora, or NixOS for something a little different.

This is just more of the same delusions of grandeur BS that lead to the great exodus.

1 Like

I just dont see the point in it personally. IMO one of the major draws of Arch is pacman.

This seems to want to remove pacman from the equation but at that point Fedora already has the flatpak angle covered very well and have been doing it longer with more money behind it. Just seems like a waste of resources for very little benefit.

4 Likes

Meeh…Big deal!

:clown_face: makeup is pretty cheap this days, although there might be shortages, because i have ordered truckload of it! :partying_face:

1 Like

I don’t see it as a big deal either, however, for entirely different reasons than you :laughing:

Like I said in another topic, if they are not our resources, it’s none of our business how they are utilised. I never donated to Manjaro, so I don’t feel like they owe me anything.

5 Likes

doesnt mean you cant question the why, the “its not our business” train of thought is a good way to let many terrible ideas happen. If you see someone trying to swim with brick shoes, you should probably at least question it lol

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, im gonna ask wtf is the reason behind not using pacman on Arch? :upside_down_face: why even be Arch based then and not just start from scratch.

2 Likes

Exactly. One of the reasons i always liked Solus and Clear Linux.

6 Likes

Is that puppet also called Ernie in Germany?

2 Likes

Yes

1 Like

That’s what I will be for the next few days. But in my case it will be spelled Schnapps! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

It might drown like a duck:

I agree with @Kresimir, though:

I left Manjaro and came to EndeavourOS when it became clear to me that the direction Manjaro was taking was no longer consistent with my values. Yet, a Flatpak-focused version doesn’t really bother me very much. Like a duck, the project might swim or it might drown, but I welcome experimentation; and I hope that Manjaro continues to innovate, even if the product of their experimentation might not be something I would personally want to use.

6 Likes

… and absolutely BIO!