Manjaro is working on a Flatpak-focused version

I always knew something like that happen to Manjaro, but not THAT :rofl:

1 Like

So happy I did not waste any more time with Manjaro after the purge.

5 Likes

If you want a flatpak distro why not use Fedora?

I don’t see why a flatpak Manjaro should even exist

5 Likes

To be fair, I doubt anything will change in the foreseeable future. This is nothing new. I don’t think they have the competence necessary to pull that off. It’s a really tough challenge. Dreams of Pacmanless Manjaro are one thing, concrete realisations that work reliably are something completely different. I think Manjaro will still depend on ALPM throughout 2022, and probably much longer.

6 Likes

No surprises there.

Thought it would be snaps though … Canonical was pushing, Phil was absolutely preening at what he though was validation, but it never eventuated.

The entire Manjaro architecture is flawed anyway, causes more problems than it mitigates.

Again no surprises they decided to paper over the cracks with a flatpak wallpaper.

To monetize it? Wasn’t that always the point?

Pamac-cli was meant to replace it … “We will see.”

:rofl:

This concept has been around for a while, just a different packaging format.

4 Likes

philm

7 Likes

Maybe they’ll make it like with old forum…just do or die :laughing:
Userbase is BLOAT!

3 Likes

I don’t necessarily mean it as criticism of their abilities to maintain a distro, just a criticism of underestimating how difficult to achieve the goal of transforming an Arch-based distro into a Flatpak-based distro really is. It’s just megalomania, in my opinion.

5 Likes

You have to wait for April release. The time is important for the software to mature. :wink:

1 Like

This is an alpm-less Manjaro though, which is a much bigger deal and MUCH harder to pull off.

It is one thing to put a new cli frontend onto the alpm libs, albeit doing the same thing but with more verbosity, but to abandon alpm altogether smacks of desperation.

This is more “look at us” PR than anything else.

Wonder how many volunteers will be pulled in to actually develop this waste of time. Meanwhile donations will still be funneled …

But so many people chose not to see it. Still don’t understand that.

It wasn’t until a beloved uncle was offed that reason seemed to prevail.

9 Likes

Precisely. Phil has been known to make such statements before, and nothing ever came of it. I genuinely believe that he is not intentionally being deceptive, just unrealistic and megalomaniacal. However, when you take donations into account, this becomes irresponsible, at the very best.

5 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think it’s a big deal at all. I mean, I go pacmanless all the time. In fact I’m pacmanless right at this moment.

Oh, no, wait…I meant pantless. Nevermind.

11 Likes

oh where is his face mask :smiley:

1 Like

This is a shame. I’m worried what this means for Manjaro ARM, because this really isn’t a route I want to go down. I don’t understand how anyone who’s into Linux can get excited over the idea of making it largely immutable. Flatpaks, snaps & AppImages are all bloatware that allow for needless duplication of system libraries and lazy development.

1 Like

I think many saw it but didn’t want to believe it, or thought it was recoverable. :pensive:

At least Fedora 35 does not come with any flatpaks pre-installed. This new Manjaro path seems more like what Elementary OS has done.

1 Like

Hmm… a distro with paid-for downloads and “community-based” support. :thinking:

1 Like

Easter surprise…

3 Likes

Wow - I was only going by the latest Distrowatch review which mentioned heavy flatpak usage. I was stunned when I saw the download pricing on their website.

I guess it’s technically “pay what you want”, but still, it’s mostly a psychological trick to make people feel guilty for downloading it for free…

3 Likes