Making sense of how to install package on Arch/EOS

Greetings to all,
Brand new to Linux and EOS.Just did a fresh install of Gnome. I am new to Linux so can’t compare to other distros but its extremely fast, lean and mean (compared to win) :slight_smile: Thank you for all your efforts…
I have a question regarding a specific package that is required for my rig. Its a tuxedo that I got for very cheap. Before installing I saw the package existed on Arch (AUR) but after install of EOS, I was trying to figure out how to install the package but its simplyway too hard to understand. I was wondering if anyone could dummy the process for me ?
Package name is “tuxedo-cc-wmi”. I found it here “https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tuxedo-cc-wmi/”.

All the best

1 Like

Open up a terminal and type:

yay -S tuxedo-cc-wmi
4 Likes

Welcome aboard! :smile:

The official (and most reliable) package manager is pacman (a terminal program, no GUI). It manages only the official packages, not AUR packages.

Then we have yay which is quite similar to pacman from the user’s point of view. Yay can handle AUR packages, too.

Some links:

4 Likes

Thank you guys very much for replying. Its now installed.
I thought this would the full app but I guess its just the driver for the fan and heat. Kind of a profile to avoid the fan ramping all the time. This tuxedo I got me on the cheap is plagued by this fan contently ramping up as soon as you push the rig a little bit. What a pain…

1 Like

There appears to be a second app " tuxedo-control-center" that references the application in your first post. I can be installed by:

yay -S tuxedo-control-center

That may give you the full app you’re looking for.

Thank you for your help @nohbody. Just installed the app…

Welcome to the community :beers:

Welcome! I just checked tuxedos yesterday, some of them look quite sleek, 14’ with up to 24h battery life. Wondering which one you got?

They also mention an app to control fan…

They have a manjaro version, who knows perhaps one day there will be an EOS version? :+1:

Thanks, I got the infinity book 15’.
I am not a geek or an expert neither in Linux or in IT (computers). If I have to give a honest opinion, they are not built for someone who is just going to be using it to navigate internet, torrenting etc…
They are extremely complicated to use and very much time consuming. I had mine prior to the tuxedo guys building the app control center and the noise of the fan and heat was and still is definitely a problem. A small workload, I am talking about Firefox, email, and possibly terminal open, this will bring the temp above 50 degrees and of course the fan ramping up. The latest control center app makes it better. Prior to that you had to load a module in the kernel to try to control the fan. You also have to do some work with the keyboard backlighting.You have to load another module to control the backlight otherwise you get stuck with a Bluelight without the possibility to turn it off or dim it. Who does that ?? My prior laptop offered the possibility to do that out the box. Battery is very small, 4 cells, and does not last long. I am new to Linux and distro hoping a lot, the best bet as of now is ubuntu latest to get the most out of the battery. To recap, not impressed at all, and I find myself going back to my old (7+ years) Dell xps quite often :slight_smile: I regret to have bought this unit even though I got it on the cheap…
One last thing, you have to understand, and they claim that on their website, they do not support otherdistro than anything ubuntu based or opensuse with some limitations. If you use, lets say, EOS or Arch, you won’t get any support from them…This goes against anything Linux and Free software foundation stands for. Even Windows is more adaptable to hardware and flexible than Tuxedo…(this was prior to tuxedo working with Manjaro and possibly linked to my model)…

While I get your frustration there is one thing you’re missing:
There are literally dozens of Linux distributions out there. Supporting all or most of them would need a support staff count twice or three times as high as we have now. These people would need their salaries paid - with money coming from laptop sales prices. I guess you can imagine the consequent price raise.

Your comparison to Windows being more adaptable leaves out the whole OEM model and how it works “over there” and “over here”. Besides all market share issues and the connected influence on vendors it’s Microsoft who are doing literally nothing with driver development. But they decide on how stuff needs to be done by vendors. In our world we have suppliers for parts, have the Linux kernel on the other hand and are somehow stuck in the middle, trying to get everything together.

Still, we all are Linux and FLOSS guys. And of course we want to give the best help possible.
That’s why all our stuff is GPL licensed and available on Github. Plus support people and developers are helping with Github issues if possible.

4 Likes

Interesting question.

If you bought a Linux computer, and you’re completely new to Linux. . . And you’re using GNOME. . Why don’t you just use the Ubuntu it came with for a bit? Or even Manjaro since you said they are working with them now too? It may give you a better overall experience while you learn a little? Here at endeavour we should and are willing to help all we can. I’d just hate for you to get frustrated and give up on Linux by making things more difficult immediately for yourself.

3 Likes

I can appreciate the difficulty of being in the business of selling laptops under Linux today.
Having said that, my frustration is still very much there. Expressing it from a non techy perspective is somewhat of a difficult exercise as I do not have the proper terminology. All I can do is compare to other laptops I have owned and ask for help in a very clumsy way…
Nevertheless, I mean in no way to be disparaging to the name Tuxedo at all.
One part, I think that would help newbies coming to you guys, is to make sure they understand there is nothing easy about running Linux and most of all on a laptop made for Linux. We talked a lot about software, but the hardware architecture is as important to have, for ex, for said laptop to be running cool. In any case, I guess I spent the money and need to make it work somehow…

I did run with Ubuntu for a while a got an issue with the keyboard. It was not recognized anymore.
Gave up and started distro hoping.
I don’t think there is any magic wand. As I have said in the past, and I know many of you disagree with me, Linux will never succeed in the space of basic consumers. It simply is too hard. Like I said, I appreciate the difficulty and dedication now. It takes massive amount of resources to get the point of an OS like Windows. That cost money. Nevertheless, the irony of it is, you have the mass looking for security and privacy and flocking towards Linux.

I think you better let Google know soon, because both Android phones and Chromebooks are killing it out there right now. . . . And both are Linux. . .

And if you’re truly a beginner, I would not suggest Endeavour yet. We’re not a beginner’s distribution. We can help you, but we definitely are not specifically targeting the absolute beginner distribution market. You may want to look elsewhere a little longer, and when you understand some basics, you may find Endeavour to be a fantsatic distro for you. You may just not be there yet.

2 Likes

I agree! :slight_smile:

Try something like Linux Mint, Pop OS - it’s super easy to use and pretty hard to break, both are good distros to start without problems.

1 Like

One last point that is extremely frustrating from a newbie perspective. On the internet, you have countless howtos and supposed experts… I have lost count how many times I screwed my entire system because I followed the steps of a supposed expert. It needs to be made easier to follow official and vetted articles. I guess this is why a Distrib like Ubuntu (and Arch), stand some chances of succeeding because the quality of their content…
Let me illustrate. Before coming to EOS, I was using Fedora. One upgrade and both my bluetooth keyboard and mouse gone… Could not solve the issue distro hopped to EOS. Learned a little bit later the workaround " Bluetooth workaround

Wrong. Its linux modified to suit the masses. Vanilla Linux on smartphone will never succeed. Ubuntu touch is a very good ex of that…Ask canonical.

Correct. It’s linux.

So you’re not a beginner it sounds. You’ve used several distros, from Ubuntu, Fedora and now Endeavour. All you want to is argue and put down Linux in general while using a Linux built computer, on a Linux forum… .

Are you just here to troll? Because it sure sounds like it.

3 Likes

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Not sure my robot friend, not sure…We should consult Windows community! :rofl:

2 Likes

BTW.
Doesn’t Tuxedo ship with Windows as an option?