Making boot status text bigger

I am using CSM boot because the driver for my laptop does not work in UEFI boot. The bootloader is GRUB2, I think. When the laptop starts “Welcome to Grub” text is very large (which is fine), but after that, the purple grub list and boot status text (a bunch of “OK”, etc) are too small to read.

I searched the web and added video=1280x720 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT according to this post. update-grub was not found, so I ran sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg according to this post, but when I rebooted the laptop, nothing changed.

How can I make the whole boot screen text bigger (grub menu list, boot messages)?

You could start investigating your trouble here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Linux_console#Fonts

…and here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HiDPI#Linux_console_(tty)

Plus:

3 Likes

I tried two things in your links but none of them worked. Is it correct add that font thing to CMDLINE like the following?

The following thing worked, but only for the boot messages. Grub list font is still small.

I found a GUI app in the repository, and it allowed me to customise the font.

Just a word of caution regarding the use of grub-customizer.

Since it does rather extensive modifications of the grub’s boot files and folders, in case you, at some point, decide to uninstall the application, you should keep in mind to take the steps necessary for restoring your Grub’s environment.

There are many examples of users having forgot about or simply not knowing about this who have ended with a broken Grub.

Using forum’s search function, you’ll find several threads about this and about how to restore Grub.

PS.
Of course you as GOD know about this already :wink:
:man_bowing:t5:

4 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Well, in that case, since it seems that developers at EOS have set some theme (because it looks purple and pink) to default grub anyway, why not customise it to use a bigger font by default?

I mean, there is not much text to display, so even if it used twice as big font, I think it will fit on any monitor, other than really extreme cases like lower than the SD resolution.

This would only apply to the grub-screen. It has no bearance on any kernel-embedded tty-fonts and -sizes

Apart from that, not everybody is using hi-res screens.

The needs of users vary very much, so it is not possible to make grub looks suitable for everyone.

To configure grub visually, see e.g. this article:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Background_image_and_bitmap_fonts

3 Likes

this is also not recommended in any way… use:

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
 # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
 # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `videoinfo'
 GRUB_GFXMODE=auto

set GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080 replace 1920x1080 with a supported resolution for your GPU
and… simply do not use grub-customizer if you mind about breaking bootloader one day …

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.